Using Perturbation Theory to Calculate Probability in Quantum Mechanics

In summary, the conversation discusses the probability of a particle being observed in the ground state of a simple harmonic oscillator after the spring constant has changed. The solution involves understanding the ground state before and after the change and using the postulates of quantum mechanics to calculate the probability. The conversation also clarifies that the initial wavefunction is the one where the potential has not changed, and the wavefunction when the potential has changed is the one that is used in the calculation.
andyfreesty1e
Quantum Physics Help!

Homework Statement

The spring constant for a particle in the ground state of a simple harmonic oscillator changes by a factor a^4 instantaneously, what is the probability that the particle is observed in the ground state of the new potential immediately following the change

can anyone give me a step in the right direction please, i think i have to use perturbation theory, but haven't really been taught how to

Homework Equations

v(x)=(a^4)(kx^2)/2 is the new potential

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org

There's no need for perturbation theory here. Just ask yourself two questions:

(1)What is the ground state of the harmonic oscillator both before and after the change in spring constant?

(2)If I'm told that a particle is in the state [itex]|\psi_1\rangle[/itex] and I want to find the probability that it is measured in the state [itex]|\psi_2\rangle[/itex], what equation would I use?

The answer to number (1) is derived in most introductory QM texts, and the answer to number (2) is often taken to be one of the postulates of QM.

so the ground state before is (1/a(sqrt Pi))^1/2 exp[-x^2/2a^2] where a=(h_bar/mw)^1/2
and w=(k/m)^1/2 so the ground state after is the same but w=(a^4k/m)^1/2 ?

so then calculate c=integral (psi*Psi(x,0))dx
and then c^2 is the probability?

does this seem about right?

Seems about right to me:smile:

sorry to keep asking questions, i think I am being a bit stupid, just to clarify something, in my above post would Psi(x,0) be my initial wavefunction, the one where the potential has not changed, and psi* would be the wavefunction when the potential has changed?
thanks

Related to Using Perturbation Theory to Calculate Probability in Quantum Mechanics

What is quantum physics?

Quantum physics is the branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at the subatomic level. It deals with the principles of quantum mechanics, which explains the behavior of matter and energy at a microscopic level.

What is the importance of quantum physics?

Quantum physics is important because it helps us understand the fundamental nature of matter and energy. It has led to many technological advancements, such as transistors, lasers, and computers. It also has implications for fields such as chemistry, biology, and cosmology.

What are some key principles of quantum physics?

Some key principles of quantum physics include the wave-particle duality, uncertainty principle, superposition, and entanglement. These principles help explain the behavior of particles at the quantum level and have been verified through experiments.

How does quantum physics differ from classical physics?

Quantum physics differs from classical physics in that it describes the behavior of particles at the subatomic level, while classical physics deals with larger, observable objects. Quantum physics also introduces concepts such as superposition, where particles can exist in multiple states simultaneously, which is not seen in classical physics.

What are some real-world applications of quantum physics?

Some real-world applications of quantum physics include transistors, lasers, and quantum computing. It also has implications for fields such as cryptography, medical imaging, and energy production. Research in quantum physics is ongoing and may lead to even more advancements in the future.