Using molarity in stoichiometry problems

In summary, the problem involves finding the molarity of a 50.0mL sample of aluminum sulfite when it is reacted with a 3.00M solution of barium chloride. The balanced chemical equation is Al2(SO3)3 + 3BaCl2 -> 2AlCl3 + 3BaSO3 and the molarity equation is Mol of solute/ L of solution. However, the given information does not include the molarity of aluminum sulfite, so the solution is incomplete and more information is needed.
lzh

Homework Statement

What is the molarity of 50.0mL sample of aluminum sulfite when it is reacted with 3.00M solution of barium chloride? The product of this double replacement is aluminum chloride and barium chloride.

Homework Equations

The first thing i did was balance(all number after forumula is subscript):
Al2(SO3)3 + 3BaCl2 -> 2AlCl3 + 3BaSO3

molarity is :
Mol of solute/ L of solution
It gives me the volume so i need to find the mol

The Attempt at a Solution

as my teacher said, its best to always start with the value other than M. So:
.050L Al2(SO3)3 * something to take it out of liter and into mols. But in order to do that i need to know Al2(SO3)3's molarity, and i only know barium chlorides's.

I must be not considering something pertaining to barium chloride, but I'm not sure, can someone lend me a hand?

Physics news on Phys.org
That's all the variables you have? It doesn't say anything about the volume of Barium Chloride or any of the products? I may be missing something as I just woke up, but I can't see what to do without something else.

yeah that's all it gave me...

I would just assume that I had 3.00 mol Barium Chloride then. There has to be another variable...

lol, the teacher had the problem wrote wrong

Related to Using molarity in stoichiometry problems

1. What is molarity and how is it calculated?

Molarity is a unit of concentration that measures the number of moles of solute per liter of solution. It is calculated by dividing the moles of solute by the volume of the solution in liters.

2. How is molarity used in stoichiometry problems?

Molarity is used in stoichiometry problems to calculate the amount of reactants or products in a chemical reaction. It is used to convert between the amount of solute in moles and the volume of the solution in liters.

3. What is the difference between molarity and molality?

Molarity and molality are both measures of concentration, but molarity is based on the volume of the solution while molality is based on the mass of the solvent. Molarity is typically used for aqueous solutions, while molality is used for solutions with non-aqueous solvents.

4. How do you convert between molarity and molality?

To convert from molarity to molality, you need to know the density of the solution. You can use the formula molality = molarity / density to make the conversion. To convert from molality to molarity, you also need to know the density and use the formula molarity = molality x density.

5. Can molarity be used for gases?

No, molarity is not an appropriate unit for measuring the concentration of gases. The ideal gas law, which uses moles, volume, and pressure, should be used instead for gas stoichiometry problems.