Using LED in fixture designed for Halogen

• Thread starter drdream
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Led
In summary, the conversation discusses a user's attempt to replace a 250W Halogen bulb with a LED bulb in a lighting fixture for stage and entertainment use. The LED bulb has a comparable lumen output, but operates at 14.4VAC @ 6.3amps, while the power supplying the Halogen bulb is 24VAC. The user is unsure if this difference in current will affect the functionality of the LED bulb and is seeking advice. However, it is clarified that the statement about a 1 ohm difference between current does not make sense. It is also noted that powering the LED bulb with 24V will likely cause it to blow out.
drdream
Hello,

I have a lighting fixture used in stage and entertainment lighting (HES Trackspot) which was designed to use a 250Watt Halogen bulb (Phillips QT8500). The power supplying the bulb is 24VAC. The bulb has two fans underneath.

I have found a LED bulb with comparable lumen output. The bulb is rated at 14.4VAC @ 6.3amps..

I have found an ohms law calculator which says there is a 1ohm difference between the current.. so I just wanted to know if anyone can chime in on this effort. I also know nothing about power supplies, or if the LED is DC or AC current.. I am just thinking as long as I can hack a heatsink for the LED and the current doesn't blow it up.. it would work?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
your statement "there is a 1 ohm difference between the current" doesn't make sense since ohms and current are not the same thing at all.

At any rate, no it won't work because if the LED bulbpack is rated for 14V and you power it with 24V, it will surely blow out immediately.

Related to Using LED in fixture designed for Halogen

1. Can I replace my halogen bulbs with LED bulbs in my existing fixture?

Yes, it is possible to replace halogen bulbs with LED bulbs in an existing fixture. However, it is important to make sure that the LED bulbs are compatible with the fixture and that the wattage and voltage requirements are the same.

2. Will using LED bulbs in my halogen fixture save me money on my energy bill?

Yes, using LED bulbs in a halogen fixture can save you money on your energy bill. LED bulbs are more energy-efficient than halogen bulbs, meaning they use less electricity to produce the same amount of light.

3. Do LED bulbs last longer than halogen bulbs in a fixture designed for halogen?

Yes, LED bulbs have a longer lifespan compared to halogen bulbs in a fixture designed for halogen. LED bulbs can last up to 25,000 hours, while halogen bulbs typically last around 1,000 hours.

4. Are there any safety concerns when using LED bulbs in a halogen fixture?

No, there are no significant safety concerns when using LED bulbs in a halogen fixture. However, it is important to check that the LED bulbs are compatible with the fixture and that they do not overheat.

5. Will using LED bulbs change the brightness or color of the light in my halogen fixture?

Yes, using LED bulbs may change the brightness and color of the light in your halogen fixture. LED bulbs produce a cooler, whiter light compared to the warmer, yellowish light of halogen bulbs. It is important to choose LED bulbs with the desired color temperature to achieve the desired lighting effect.