Using Laplace to solve circuit analysis

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Laplace transforms to solve a problem involving a DC source and a step function. The 12 V source is represented as 12/s and the voltage representing stored energy should have the correct polarity. The individual is unsure about the proper procedure for solving these types of problems using Laplace transforms.
Cocoleia

Homework Statement

upload_2017-4-19_19-53-22.png

The Attempt at a Solution

upload_2017-4-19_19-52-34.png

As you can see, the answer is given in the problem. I have the 0.8t par right but somewhere along the way I messed up. I'm not really to sure about how to solve these types of problems using Laplace. Is there a general procedure that I should be following that I am not?

Physics news on Phys.org
The Laplace transform of a DC source is V/s. Essentially it's modeled as a step function, "turning on" at time t = 0. So your 12 V source should be 12/s.

The voltage that represents the stored energy due to the initial current (your 30 V supply) needs to have its polarity reflect the actual direction of that initial current.

Otherwise you seem to be doing okay.

Likes Cocoleia

Related to Using Laplace to solve circuit analysis

1. What is Laplace transform and how is it used in circuit analysis?

The Laplace transform is a mathematical tool used to transform a time-domain function into a frequency-domain function. In circuit analysis, it is used to simplify complex differential equations and make it easier to solve for circuit variables such as voltage and current.

2. What are the advantages of using Laplace transform in circuit analysis?

Using Laplace transform allows for the simplification of complex differential equations and reduces the need for tedious algebraic manipulation. It also provides a way to analyze circuits with multiple energy storage elements, such as inductors and capacitors, which are difficult to solve using traditional methods.

3. How does Laplace transform help in analyzing transient and steady-state responses of a circuit?

Laplace transform can be used to solve for the transient response of a circuit, which is the behavior of the circuit in the time domain immediately after a sudden change in input. It can also be used to find the steady-state response, which is the behavior of the circuit after all transients have died out and the system has reached a steady state.

4. Are there any limitations to using Laplace transform in circuit analysis?

One limitation of using Laplace transform is that it assumes linear and time-invariant circuits, which may not always be the case in real-world circuits. It also requires knowledge of complex algebra and inverse Laplace transform techniques to obtain the final solution.

5. Can Laplace transform be used to analyze AC circuits?

Yes, Laplace transform can be used to analyze AC circuits. By applying Laplace transform to the differential equations that describe the behavior of AC circuits, we can determine the frequency response of the circuit and analyze its behavior at different frequencies.