Using Induction to Show a Function is Decreasing

In summary: The base case is shown to be true by proving that 3^(1/3) > 4^(1/4). Then, using the inequality (k-1)^(1/(k-1)) > k^(1/k), it is proven that k^(1/k) > (k+1)^(1/(1+k)). This is then elevated to k(k+1) and divided by k, resulting in the inequality (1 + 1/k)^k < k. Through induction, this inequality is shown to be true
Dschumanji
I have recently been studying the following function for fun (math nerd):

f(x) = x^(1/x) where x is an integer greater than 0

I want to prove that the function is decreasing for x > 2. It seems that the straight forward approach to this proof is to use induction. It can easily be shown that 3^(1/3) > 4^(1/4), which becomes my base case. I then assume that the following inequality holds:

(k-1)^(1/(k-1)) > k^(1/k)

Using the above inequality I must show that:

k^(1/k) > (k+1)^(1/(1+k))

I have tried everything in my mathematical toolkit to rewrite the first inequality into something that looks like the second but to no avail. My last attempt involved taking the logarithm to the base k-1 on the left side and the logarithm to the base k on the right side. It seems to work but I run into some technicalities that I can't seem to get around when I try to raise each side to a different base. Someone please help!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Try using the fact that log(k + 1) - log(k) < 1, which is true because in your conditions
1 + 1/k < 1/e

Petr Mugver said:
Try using the fact that log(k + 1) - log(k) < 1, which is true because in your conditions
1 + 1/k < 1/e
I'm not seeing how using log(k+1) - log(k) < 1 should help me out. I am able to go from

to

log(k+1) - (k/(k-1))log(k-1) < 1

Also where in my conditions do I imply 1 + 1/k < 1/e?

The fallacy i see is that the function is not strictly decreasing when x>2.

If we find derive the function and look at its extremum, we see that.

The maximum of the function is [tex] ( \, e \, , \, \sqrt[\large{e}]{e} ) [/tex]

Therfore the function is increasing between x=2 and x=e , and decreases after this.

I get a local max at e also.

I always like turning these into exponential functions with base e:

x^(1/x)=e^((ln x)/x)

But that's coming at it from a different angle than the OP.

Nebuchadnezza said:
The fallacy i see is that the function is not strictly decreasing when x>2.

If we find derive the function and look at its extremum, we see that.

The maximum of the function is [tex] ( \, e \, , \, \sqrt[\large{e}]{e} ) [/tex]

Therfore the function is increasing between x=2 and x=e , and decreases after this.
Yes, the maximum of the function occurs at x = e when the function is defined over the real numbers. The function is only defined for integers greater than zero.

Just reread the title, this is by induction - sorry, my comment is a red herring!

However, the question is whether to show decreasing after e, or show by induction? Induction, technically will only be valid for integers, rather than for all numbers. You can wave your arms about continuity, but indeuction won't guarantee that it doesn't do something funny between the integers.

So, I guess the question is whether you want if decreasing on integers or also between them.

Btw, the general domain for this function IS all positive reals, unless otherwise restrcited.

Last edited:
I got to read more carefully, the "x" threw me, rather than an "n" (creature of habit), guess the problem is for integers. You can still prove for all numbers greater than e, which includes the integers. Then you can use the derivative that will work if you decide to take a different path.

Maxter said:
I got to read more carefully, the "x" threw me, rather than an "n" (creature of habit), guess the problem is for integers. You can still prove for all numbers greater than e, which includes the integers. Then you can use the derivative that will work if you decide to take a different path.
Would I just have to show that the derivative is negative for x > e?

Yes.

Nebuchadnezza said:
Yes.
Well that is definitely good to know. However, it still doesn't help with the original question of using induction. Is it perhaps possible that this cannot be proved with induction?

It looks like no one else has any input on how to solve this problem. I would like to thank everyone who helped with the alternative proof!

It is so interesting that this problem is hard to solve when restricted to the simple structure of the integers and the methods applicable to it, but easy to solve when the more complex structure of the reals and the methods applicable to it are used.

Dschumanji said:
I have recently been studying the following function for fun (math nerd):

f(x) = x^(1/x) where x is an integer greater than 0

I want to prove that the function is decreasing for x > 2. It seems that the straight forward approach to this proof is to use induction. It can easily be shown that 3^(1/3) > 4^(1/4), which becomes my base case. I then assume that the following inequality holds:

Using the above inequality I must show that:

k^(1/k) > (k+1)^(1/(1+k))

I have tried everything in my mathematical toolkit to rewrite the first inequality into something that looks like the second but to no avail. My last attempt involved taking the logarithm to the base k-1 on the left side and the logarithm to the base k on the right side. It seems to work but I run into some technicalities that I can't seem to get around when I try to raise each side to a different base. Someone please help!

Ok I got it.

elevate the equation k^(1/k) > (k+1)^(1/(1+k)) to k(k+1), and then divide by k to obtain

(1 + 1/k)^k < k (*)

we want to show this is true for k > 2 by induction. It is true for k = 3. Then write

(1 + 1/(k+1))^(k+1) < (1 + 1/k)^(k+1) = (1 + 1/k)(1 + 1/k)^k

which is obviously true. Then, uning the inductive hypothesis (*),

(1 + 1/k)(1 + 1/k)^k < (1 + 1/k)k = k + 1

So

(1 + 1/(k+1))^(k+1) < k + 1

which is what we wanted to proove.

Petr Mugver said:
Ok I got it.

elevate the equation k^(1/k) > (k+1)^(1/(1+k)) to k(k+1), and then divide by k to obtain

(1 + 1/k)^k < k (*)

we want to show this is true for k > 2 by induction. It is true for k = 3. Then write

(1 + 1/(k+1))^(k+1) < (1 + 1/k)^(k+1) = (1 + 1/k)(1 + 1/k)^k

which is obviously true. Then, uning the inductive hypothesis (*),

(1 + 1/k)(1 + 1/k)^k < (1 + 1/k)k = k + 1

So

(1 + 1/(k+1))^(k+1) < k + 1

which is what we wanted to proove.
That was brilliant, Petr Mugver! Thank you for the excellent solution (I hope you didn't spend to long on it). I feel so stupid considering how straight forward it is. I really need to practice proofs concerning inequalities and induction, they seem to always require applying strange operations and noticing certain subtleties.

Related to Using Induction to Show a Function is Decreasing

1. How does induction prove that a function is decreasing?

Induction is a mathematical proof technique that involves showing that a statement is true for a base case, and then proving that if the statement is true for any value, it must also be true for the next value. In the case of showing a function is decreasing, we start with the base case of the first value of the function and then use induction to show that if the function decreases from one value to the next, it must also decrease for all subsequent values.

2. What is the base case when using induction to show a function is decreasing?

The base case in induction is the first value of the function. This is the starting point for the proof, and we use it to show that the statement is true for at least one value.

3. How do you prove that a function decreases for all subsequent values using induction?

To prove that a function decreases for all subsequent values, we first show that it decreases from the base case to the next value. Then, we assume that the statement is true for the next value and use it to show that it must also be true for the next value after that. This process is repeated until we have shown that the statement is true for all subsequent values.

4. Can induction be used to show that a function is strictly decreasing?

Yes, induction can be used to show that a function is strictly decreasing. This means that the function decreases by a constant amount from one value to the next. The proof process is the same as for showing a function is decreasing, but we must also show that the difference between consecutive values is always the same.

5. Are there other methods for proving that a function is decreasing besides using induction?

Yes, there are other methods for proving that a function is decreasing. For example, we can use the derivative of the function to show that it is always negative, which indicates a decreasing function. We can also use the Mean Value Theorem or the Monotone Convergence Theorem to prove that a function is decreasing under certain conditions.