Using Hund's rules to calculate ground state of erbium

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the ground state of erbium and determining the effects of a magnetic field on its ground state. The poster is attempting to use Hund's rules and the Lande g factor to solve the problem, but is getting a different answer than the given solution. They also question the use of the equation for energy change and the values of M_L and M_S in this scenario. They ask for clarification on when to apply the strong field limit and how to approach these types of questions.
roberto85

Homework Statement

Calculate ground state of erbium [Xe] 4f^12 6s^2

The Attempt at a Solution

so i know that the f orbital can hold 14 electrons and has 7 types of orbitals that is -3,-2,-1,0,1,2,3

So i constructed a table with axes of m_l (-3 to +3 above) and m_s. Then hunds rules say i first maximise spin and then orbital angular momentum. So i placed electrons in order to maximise spin and I am left with the ml=-3,-2 boxes with only one electron and all the other boxes are filled with 2. But I am not getting the same answer as the question gives. I must be doing this wrong, any help please. I am getting L = 5 and S = 1 but the answers are L=9 and S=3? Many thanks

Roberto

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm also stuck on the next part of this question which asks what happens to the ground state of erbium in a magnetic field. It says i require the lande g factor:

g = [3J(J+1) + S(S+1) + L(L+1)]/2J(J+1)

Using the answers of s=3, l=9 AND j=12 i get g equal to 1.25.

But the answers give the change in energy as -0.75 M_j mu_B B which i know is the equation where in place of the -0.75 is the landau g factor, but this doesn't agree with my calculated value. Have i missed something or is this a typo? The answer also says that the degenerate groundstate will split into 25 states, how is this so and how would i be expected to know this? Many thanks again

Roberto

p.s i think I've found the equation which i need which is: Change in energy = mu_B (M_L + g_s x M_S) B

how do i know the values of M_L and M_S? Also i read that this equation applies in the strong field limit but i don't understand how the question implies this instead of the wak limit, should i always assume the strong limit in questions unless stated? Apologies for so many questions but i really want to know how to do these types of questions. Thanks

Last edited:

Related to Using Hund's rules to calculate ground state of erbium

1. What are Hund's rules?

Hund's rules are a set of guidelines used to determine the ground state electron configurations of atoms or ions. They were developed by Friedrich Hund, a German physicist, in the early 20th century.

2. Why are Hund's rules used to calculate the ground state of erbium?

Erbium is a rare earth element with a complex electron configuration. Hund's rules provide a systematic approach to determine the most stable electron configuration for erbium, making it easier to calculate its ground state.

3. How many electrons does erbium have in its ground state?

Erbium has 68 electrons in its ground state. This is derived from its atomic number, which is the number of protons in the nucleus of an atom.

4. Can Hund's rules be used to calculate the ground state of other elements?

Yes, Hund's rules can be applied to any element to determine its ground state electron configuration. However, it may not always give the most accurate result for highly complex elements.

5. What are the three main rules of Hund's rules?

The three main rules of Hund's rules are: (1) electrons will occupy different orbitals with the same energy before pairing up in the same orbital, (2) electrons will fill each orbital in a subshell before pairing up, and (3) electrons will have parallel spins in the same orbital before pairing up with opposite spins.