Using desmos for Polar equations and the table feature

In summary, the user was unable to find help for plotting points every $\frac{\pi}{12}$ on a polar coordinate graph using the Desmos calculator's table feature. They came up with a workaround using Google Sheets to get the relevant $x$ and $y$ coordinates for the desired plot.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
Just couldn't find help with this anywhere but
Using the desmos graphing calculator using the table feature
I wanted to plot the points every $\frac{\pi}{12}$
$0<\theta<2\pi$
For $r=-2-3\sin(\theta)$

On a polar coordinate graph

Physics news on Phys.org
karush said:
Just couldn't find help with this anywhere but
Using the desmos graphing calculator using the table feature
I wanted to plot the points every $\frac{\pi}{12}$
$0<\theta<2\pi$
For $r=-2-3\sin(\theta)$

On a polar coordinate graph

Hi karush,

It seems that Desmos doesn't allow directly inserting $r$ and $\theta$ values to its table feature. A way around this is to get the relavant $x$ and $y$ coordinates using something like Google Sheets and then copy these values to Desmos. This way you can get the plot you need. Here is what I came up with.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zrJdX-Y_w5oi3Kvzofnit-Y6T1Lm6gK7UeYCS2phxfo/edit?usp=sharing

https://www.desmos.com/calculator/yodbtozedw

Related to Using desmos for Polar equations and the table feature

1. How do I graph a polar equation using Desmos?

To graph a polar equation in Desmos, simply enter the equation in the input bar at the top of the screen. Make sure to use the correct syntax for polar equations, which is "r = f(theta)". Then, click on the "+" button next to the equation to add it to the graph. You can also adjust the viewing window by clicking and dragging on the graph or by using the zoom buttons on the right-hand side of the screen.

2. Can I use the table feature in Desmos to plot points for a polar equation?

Yes, you can use the table feature in Desmos to plot points for a polar equation. To do this, click on the table icon on the top right-hand side of the screen. Then, enter values for theta in the first column and corresponding values for r in the second column. Desmos will automatically plot these points on the graph.

3. How can I change the color and style of the graph for a polar equation in Desmos?

To change the color and style of the graph for a polar equation in Desmos, click on the equation and then click on the "style" button that appears. From there, you can choose a different color, thickness, or line style for the graph.

4. Is it possible to add multiple polar equations to the same graph in Desmos?

Yes, you can add multiple polar equations to the same graph in Desmos. Simply enter each equation in the input bar and click on the "+" button for each one. You can also adjust the style and color of each equation separately by clicking on them and using the "style" button.

5. How can I use the "animate" feature in Desmos to see how a polar equation changes with different values?

The "animate" feature in Desmos allows you to see how a polar equation changes as a particular variable is adjusted. To use this feature, click on the equation and then click on the "animate" button that appears. You can then choose which variable you want to animate and adjust the range and speed of the animation using the options on the right-hand side of the screen.