Using derivative with apparent increasing values

In summary, we can show that if f'(x_0)>0 for some point x_0 in the interior of the domain of f, then there exists a \delta>0 such that f(x)<f(x_0)<f(y) whenever x_0-\delta<x<x_0<y<x_0+\delta. This assertion indicates that f is increasing in the interval (x_0-\delta,x_0+\delta).
jfy4

Homework Statement

"If [itex]f'(x_0)>0[/itex] for some point [itex]x_0[/itex] in the interior of the domain of [itex]f[/itex] show that there is a [itex]\delta>0[/itex] so that

[tex]f(x)<f(x_0)<f(y)[/tex]

whenever [itex]x_0-\delta<x<x_0<y<x_0+\delta[/itex]. Does this assert that [itex]f[/itex] is increasing in the interval [itex](x_0-\delta,x_0+\delta)[/itex]?"

Homework Equations

[tex]f'(x_0)=\lim_{x\rightarrow x_0}\frac{f(x)-f(x_0)}{x-x_0}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

To be honest, the only way I could get this to work is by assuming the function is increasing given that the derivative is greater than zero, but it appears that is something I am suppose to show in the first place. The direction I want to take in my mind is that I can make two chords on the function, one from [itex]f(x)[/itex] to [itex]f(x_0)[/itex] and the other from [itex]f(x_0)[/itex] to [itex]f(y)[/itex] using the given data that the derivative is greater than zero. But I'm not sure how to lump in the epsilon-delta stuff.

Physics news on Phys.org
jfy4 said:

Homework Statement

"If [itex]f'(x_0)>0[/itex] for some point [itex]x_0[/itex] in the interior of the domain of [itex]f[/itex] show that there is a [itex]\delta>0[/itex] so that

[tex]f(x)<f(x_0)<f(y)[/tex]

whenever [itex]x_0-\delta<x<x_0<y<x_0+\delta[/itex]. Does this assert that [itex]f[/itex] is increasing in the interval [itex](x_0-\delta,x_0+\delta)[/itex]?"

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

To be honest, the only way I could get this to work is by assuming the function is increasing given that the derivative is greater than zero, but it appears that is something I am suppose to show in the first place.
Right, you need to show this, so you can't just assume it.
jfy4 said:
The direction I want to take in my mind is that I can make two chords on the function, one from [itex]f(x)[/itex] to [itex]f(x_0)[/itex] and the other from [itex]f(x_0)[/itex] to [itex]f(y)[/itex] using the given data that the derivative is greater than zero. But I'm not sure how to lump in the epsilon-delta stuff.

Start with this,

but write it in terms of the epsilon-delta definition of a limit.

Here is my attempt at the solution after some more time... :

First let

[tex]g(x)=\frac{f(x)-f(x_0)}{x-x_0}[/tex]

then we know that

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow x_0}g(x)>0.[/tex]

Then pick an [itex]\epsilon=g(x_0)/2>0[/itex], then there exists a [itex]\delta>0[/itex] such that for all [itex]x\in(x_0-\delta,x_0+\delta)[/itex], [itex]g(x)\in(g(x_0)-\epsilon,g(x_0)+\epsilon)[/itex]. Then pick an arbitrary element in the interval and note that if [itex]x<x_0[/itex], then [itex]f(x)<f(x_0)[/itex], and if [itex]y>x_0[/itex], then [itex]f(y)>f(x_0)[/itex], as demanded by the strict positive inequality. Then there exists a [itex]\delta[/itex] such that if [itex]x_0-\delta<x<x_0<y<x_0+\delta[/itex], then [itex]f(x)<f(x_0)<f(y)[/itex]. [itex]\blacksquare[/itex]

Related to Using derivative with apparent increasing values

1. What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the instantaneous rate of change of a function at a specific point. In other words, it measures how much a function is changing at a given point.

2. How can derivatives be used to analyze apparent increasing values?

Derivatives can be used to identify and analyze patterns in apparent increasing values. By taking the derivative of a function, we can determine the rate of change at different points and identify where the function is increasing or decreasing.

3. What is the relationship between derivatives and increasing values?

A function is considered to have increasing values when its derivative is positive. This means that the function is increasing at a particular point and its output values are getting larger as the input values increase.

4. Can derivatives be used to predict future values?

Derivatives can be used to predict future values by extrapolating the rate of change of a function. However, this method may not always be accurate as it assumes that the function will continue to behave in the same way.

5. How can derivatives be used to optimize a function with apparent increasing values?

Derivatives can be used to find the maximum or minimum points of a function, which can help in optimizing the function. By setting the derivative to zero and solving for the input value, we can determine the point at which the function has the highest or lowest value.