Using a Micro PIC for Keypad Output with 16 Digits & 4 Bit Output

In summary, the conversation discusses using a micro pic instead of an HC11 to output a binary number when a key is pressed on a keypad. The PIC16F88 is suggested as a suitable micro pic, but it may not have enough i/o pins for the specific project. The PIC16F877 is also recommended for more i/o options. There is no known utility for converting HC11 assembler to PIC assembler and the PIC assembler language is different from other languages such as C or C++. Microchip's MPLAB software can be used to develop and simulate PIC programs.
bigmikew
What I need is that when a certain key (on a keypad) is pressed it would output a corresponding binary number. I have completed this with an HC11 in assembly language. My professor says that the HC11 is over kill and that a micro pic would do this for little money. I am new to micro pics and not sure how I would go about doing this. Which pic would be right for me? Is there a converter from Assembly to “whatever language” the pic uses? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
a standard 16 digit key pad will be used, and 4 bit output would be sufficient.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The PIC microcontroller <spit> from Microchip uses, oddly enough, PIC assembler.

It has an architecture rather different from the HC11.

Microchip supply a free download of MPLAB (can be found on their site) which allows you to develop and simulate PIC programs.

PICs come in a wide & confusing variety of shapes & sizes, from the PIC12, through PIC16, PIC17, PIC18 and PIC24.

For your purposes one of the PIC16 range, such as the PIC16F88 would do the job, since it has a lot of peripherals, including a serial i/f.

So far as I'm aware, there's no utility for converting HC11 code to PIC16 code...

Thanks for the reply, is the PIC16 code simular to any other. i.e. C, C++... Also, is it hard to learn. I would need a parallel output. Would this PIC16F88 do this? anyother info would be great.

I would go with the 18f series because they are on the way to obsoleting the 16f series and I suspect in the end are actually more inexpensive to buy. The Microchip compiler uses ANSI C I believe.

Maybe I should have made it clearer: so far as I know there is no utility for converting HC11 assembler to PIC assembler.

PIC16F88 has a maximum of 16 i/o pins. You would have to determine if that is sufficient for your needs.

Otherwise use a PIC with more i/o, such as the PIC16F877.

Related to Using a Micro PIC for Keypad Output with 16 Digits & 4 Bit Output

1. How does a Micro PIC work for keypad output with 16 digits and 4 bit output?

A Micro PIC (Peripheral Interface Controller) is a small computer chip that is designed to handle input and output functions for electronic devices. In this case, it is programmed to receive input from a keypad with 16 digits and then process and display the output on a 4 bit output display.

2. What are the advantages of using a Micro PIC for keypad output?

Using a Micro PIC for keypad output allows for a more efficient and accurate processing of input data. It also reduces the need for additional circuitry and components, making it a cost-effective option. Additionally, the compact size of the chip makes it suitable for use in smaller electronic devices.

3. How is a Micro PIC programmed for keypad output with 16 digits and 4 bit output?

The Micro PIC is programmed using a specialized programming language, such as C or assembly language. The code is written to specify the input and output pins of the chip, as well as the logic for processing the keypad input and displaying the output on the 4 bit display.

4. Can a Micro PIC be used for other types of input and output functions?

Yes, a Micro PIC can be programmed for a variety of input and output functions, such as controlling motors, receiving and sending data to sensors, and displaying information on LCD screens. Its versatility makes it a popular choice for many electronic applications.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using a Micro PIC for keypad output?

One limitation of using a Micro PIC for keypad output is the limited number of input and output pins available on the chip. This may restrict the number of keypad digits that can be used or the amount of information that can be displayed on the 4 bit output. Additionally, programming a Micro PIC can be complex and may require specialized knowledge and tools.