Useful mathematics courses for a career?

In summary, for a job in a STEM field and specifically for a course in Numerical Analysis, the recommended courses are Advanced Calculus 1/2, Complex Variables, Vector Calculus, Numerical Analysis 2, Game Theory, Optimization, Calculus of Variations, PDE 2, and Applied Linear Algebra 2. These courses will provide a strong foundation in calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, and programming, which are essential in solving a wide range of problems using numerical methods. Additionally, the course "Numerical Recipes in C" can be used to further enhance one's understanding and implementation of numerical analysis methods.
Vitani11
I have one year left until I get my mathematics degree (applied). I am probably going to go to graduate school, but if I didn't what courses would you recommend I take? Maybe in general but more specifically for a job in a STEM field. I'm currently thinking of complex variables and vector calculus but I need three total.

Advanced Calculus 1/2
Complex Variables
Vector Calculus
Numerical Analysis 2 (1 is taken as a requirement)
Game Theory
Optimization
Calculus of variations
PDE 2
Applied linear algebra 2

Physics news on Phys.org
I've made more of my living over my career with numerical analysis than any other math course.

Dr. Courtney said:
I've made more of my living over my career with numerical analysis than any other math course.
Tell us how which courses helped you in your Numerical Analysis course.

symbolipoint said:
Tell us how which courses helped you in your Numerical Analysis course.

I'm not sure I understand the question, so if my answer is not what you were hoping for, please rephrase.

The numerical analysis course I had built upon calculus, linear algebra, diff eq, and programming. It basically taught us how to solve a broad array of problems using programming to implement the standard numerical methods. We didn't use it, but from there, it was simple to implement anything in "Numerical Recipes in C" and to know what was going on in just about any available numerical analysis library package or toolkit.

Related to Useful mathematics courses for a career?

1. What are some useful mathematics courses for a career in data analysis?

Some useful mathematics courses for a career in data analysis include statistics, linear algebra, and calculus. These courses will provide a solid foundation in analyzing and interpreting data, as well as understanding mathematical models and algorithms used in data analysis.

2. Are there any specific math courses that are beneficial for a career in finance?

Math courses that are beneficial for a career in finance include financial mathematics, probability, and differential equations. These courses will help develop skills in risk management, financial modeling, and understanding financial markets.

3. Which math courses are important for a career in engineering?

For a career in engineering, it is important to have a strong understanding of calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. These courses are essential in solving complex engineering problems and developing mathematical models for designing and analyzing structures, systems, and processes.

4. What math courses are useful for a career in computer science?

Math courses that are useful for a career in computer science include discrete mathematics, algorithms, and data structures. These courses provide a strong foundation in logic, problem-solving, and data manipulation, which are essential skills for computer science professionals.

5. Are there any math courses that are beneficial for a career in healthcare?

For a career in healthcare, courses in statistics, calculus, and biomedical mathematics can be beneficial. These courses will help develop skills in data analysis, understanding medical models and algorithms, and applying mathematical concepts to healthcare problems and research.