Use Kirchoff's rules to determine I1, I2 and I3 for the following circuit:

In summary: You have to follow the format and post the question with the question template.In summary, the individual is seeking help with determining the currents I1, I2, and I3 in a circuit using Kirchoff's rules. The circuit includes an emf of 9V, an internal resistance of 1.5, and three resistors (R1 = 5, R2 = 15, R3 = 16.23). The individual has already found I1 to be .86, but needs assistance with the next steps. They also mention that the circuit figure cannot be accessed and ask for it to be uploaded or attached. They are reminded to follow the appropriate format for posting in the homework and textbook style section.
Chingo2010
I really need help. I actually don't know how to do this

Circuit figure
https://chip.physics.purdue.edu/protected/Prelab221img/e4pp2.jpg

E1 = emf = 9 V
r = internal resistance = 1.5
R1 = 5
R2 = 15
R3 = 16.23

Find I1, I2, I3

I1 - .86. but I don't know what to do after.

Please Help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Chingo2010 said:
I really need help. I actually don't know how to do this

Circuit figure
https://chip.physics.purdue.edu/protected/Prelab221img/e4pp2.jpg

E1 = emf = 9 V
r = internal resistance = 1.5
R1 = 5
R2 = 15
R3 = 16.23

Find I1, I2, I3

I1 - .86. but I don't know what to do after.

Please Help!

Hello ,
Are the three resistors R1 , R2 and R3 in parallels or series or in combination of these two ?
Once we know this we will be able to find out the current in all the three resistors.

I cannot open the link to that image. The site is asking me to sign up ! Please upload that to any other site or attach it here only.

This thread belongs to homework and textbook style section.

Related to Use Kirchoff's rules to determine I1, I2 and I3 for the following circuit:

1. What are Kirchoff's rules and how are they used in circuit analysis?

Kirchoff's rules, also known as Kirchoff's Laws, are fundamental principles used to analyze and solve electrical circuits. The first rule, Kirchoff's Current Law (KCL), states that the total current entering a junction in a circuit must equal the total current leaving the junction. The second rule, Kirchoff's Voltage Law (KVL), states that the sum of all voltage drops around a closed loop in a circuit must equal the sum of all voltage sources in that loop. These rules are used to determine the current and voltage values in different parts of a circuit.

2. How do I apply Kirchoff's rules to determine the current values in a circuit?

To apply Kirchoff's rules, you first need to label all the components in the circuit, including voltage sources, resistors, and current sources. Then, you can use KCL and KVL to set up a system of equations based on the rules. These equations can then be solved to determine the current values in different parts of the circuit. Remember to take into account the direction of current flow and the sign conventions for voltage drops and sources.

3. Can I use Kirchoff's rules to solve any type of circuit?

Yes, Kirchoff's rules can be applied to any type of circuit, including series, parallel, and complex circuits. However, they are most useful for linear circuits, where the relationship between current and voltage is linear.

4. What is the difference between Kirchoff's Current Law and Kirchoff's Voltage Law?

Kirchoff's Current Law (KCL) deals with the conservation of charge in a circuit, stating that the total current entering a junction must equal the total current leaving the junction. On the other hand, Kirchoff's Voltage Law (KVL) deals with the conservation of energy, stating that the sum of all voltage drops in a closed loop must equal the sum of all voltage sources in that loop.

5. Can I use Kirchoff's rules to determine the voltage values in a circuit?

Yes, Kirchoff's rules can be used to determine both current and voltage values in a circuit. KVL can be used to determine the voltage drops across different components, while KCL can be used to determine the voltage at a specific point in the circuit, based on the current values. However, it is important to note that KVL and KCL can only be used to determine the relative values of voltages and currents, not their absolute values.