Use implicit differentiation to find dy/dx [Answer check]

In summary, implicit differentiation was used to find the derivative \frac{dy}{dx} for the equation xy^{2} – yx^{2} = 3xy, which resulted in the equation \frac{dy}{dx} = 3xy. However, the use of product rule was necessary and was not implemented in the solution, making the answer incorrect.
lamerali
Use implicit differentiation to find [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] for xy[tex]^{2}[/tex] – yx[tex]^{2}[/tex] = 3xy

i've answered the question but i think I'm doing it wrong
any help is appreciated!

x(2y)[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] – y(2x) = 3xy
2xy [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] – 2yx = 3xy
2xy[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] = 5xy
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{5xy}{2xy}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] = 3xy

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your first line is the mistake. You forgot to differentiate the other term on the left.

Ok I'm not sure if I've done any better this time but here it goes:

x(2y)[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] - y(2x)[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] = 3xy

2xy[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] - 2yx[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] = 3xy

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] (2xy - 2yx) = 3xy

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{3xy}{2xy - 2yx}[/tex]

i'm not sure if the 2xy and 2yx would cancel each other out but it made more sense then dividing by a zero!
thank you

lamerali said:
Ok I'm not sure if I've done any better this time but here it goes:

x(2y)[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] - y(2x)[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] = 3xy

2xy[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] - 2yx[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] = 3xy

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] (2xy - 2yx) = 3xy

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{3xy}{2xy - 2yx}[/tex]

i'm not sure if the 2xy and 2yx would cancel each other out but it made more sense then dividing by a zero!
thank you

You didnt take Defenner's advice; When you differentiate one side of the equals sign, you need to also differentiate the other side. So you need to differentiate the 3xy part too.

Also, be careful how you are differentiating xy2 for example. You need to remember that xy2 is the product of two functions, x and y2. You need to use the product rule.

Alright...i THINK i got it...lets see

y[tex]^{2}[/tex] + x(2y) [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] - x[tex]^{2}[/tex] [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] - y(2x) = 3y + 3x [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]

x(2y)[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] - x[tex]^{2}[/tex] [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] - 3x [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] = 3y - y[tex]^{2}[/tex] + y(2x)

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] (2yx - x[tex]^{2}[/tex] - 3x) = 3y - y[tex]^{2}[/tex] + 2xy

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] = (3y - y^2) / (-x^2 - 3x)
am I getting any closer to a correct answer?

Last edited:
You are getting there. But you can't 'cancel' the 2xy from numerator and denominator, can you? Back up one line and try again.

lamerali said:
Alright...i THINK i got it...lets see

y[tex]^{2}[/tex] + x(2y) [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] - x[tex]^{2}[/tex] [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] - y(2x) = 3y + 3x [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]

x(2y)[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] - x[tex]^{2}[/tex] [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] - 3x [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] = 3y - y[tex]^{2}[/tex] + y(2x)

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] (2yx - x[tex]^{2}[/tex] - 3x) = 3y - y[tex]^{2}[/tex] + 2xy

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] = (3y - y^2) / (-x^2 - 3x)
am I getting any closer to a correct answer?

Where did the 2xy from both the numerator and denominator go in the last step? Other than that, looks alright to me.

Edit: Looks like Dick beat me to it :p

Ok great! i'll pop them back into the equation!
Thank you guys!

lamerali said:
Ok great! i'll pop them back into the equation!
Thank you guys!

Fine. As long as you understand why you can't cancel that way and promise not to do it again. (1+2)/(3+2)=3/5, but it turns into 1/3 if you 'cancel' the 2.

I could not read your picture, so perhaps this is superfluous.

xy2 - x2y - 3xy = 0
dx/dx = 1
d/dx(xy2 - x2y - 3xy) = d0/dx = 0
y2 + 2xy(dy/dx) - 2xy - x2(dy/dx) - 3y - 3x(dy/dx)=0
y2 - 2xy - 3y = x2(dy/dx) + 3x(dy/dx) - 2xy(dy/dx)
dy/dx = (y2 - 2xy - 3y)/(x2 + 3x - 2xy)

Dick said:
As long as you understand why you can't cancel that way and promise not to do it again.

I understand :biggrin: Thank you I promise I will try really hard not to do it again!
Take care =)

lamerali said:
use implicit differentiation to find [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] for xy[tex]^{2}[/tex] – yx[tex]^{2}[/tex] = 3xy

i've answered the question but i think I'm doing it wrong
any help is appreciated!

X(2y)[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] – y(2x) = 3xy
2xy [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] – 2yx = 3xy
2xy[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] = 5xy
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{5xy}{2xy}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] = 3xy

thank you!

u forgot the use of product rule here...and therefore...your answer is wrong...!

Related to Use implicit differentiation to find dy/dx [Answer check]

1. What is implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation is a technique used to find the derivative of an equation that is not explicitly written in terms of one variable. It allows us to find the rate of change of a dependent variable with respect to an independent variable.

2. Why do we need to use implicit differentiation?

We use implicit differentiation when an equation cannot be solved for one variable. It is particularly useful when dealing with equations that involve inverse functions, trigonometric functions, or logarithmic functions.

3. How do we use implicit differentiation to find dy/dx?

To find dy/dx using implicit differentiation, we treat the dependent variable (usually y) as a function of the independent variable (usually x), and then use the chain rule to differentiate both sides of the equation. This allows us to isolate dy/dx on one side of the equation.

4. What is the difference between implicit differentiation and explicit differentiation?

The main difference is that implicit differentiation is used when the equation cannot be easily solved for one variable, while explicit differentiation is used when the equation is explicitly written in terms of one variable. In implicit differentiation, we treat the dependent variable as a function of the independent variable, while in explicit differentiation, we differentiate with respect to the independent variable directly.

5. Can you provide an example of how to use implicit differentiation to find dy/dx?

Sure, let's say we have the equation x^2 + y^2 = 25. To find dy/dx, we would differentiate both sides with respect to x, using the power rule for x^2 and the chain rule for y^2. This would give us 2x + 2y * dy/dx = 0. We can then isolate dy/dx by dividing both sides by 2y, giving us dy/dx = -x/y. This is the derivative of y with respect to x, or dy/dx.