Upper bound of the relative error

In summary: Great!Thank you very much! :)In summary, the conversation discusses finding an upper bound for the relative error in a linear system with given matrix A and vector b. The formula $\frac{||x-y||_{1}}{||x||_{1}} \leq \text{cond}_1(A) \frac{||\Delta b||_1}{||b||_1}$ is used to calculate the upper bound, with a resulting value of 2.0005.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! :)
I am looking at the following exercise:
Let the linear system $Ax=b$ with $\begin{pmatrix}
2.001 & 2\\
2& 2
\end{pmatrix}$
,$b=\begin{bmatrix}
2.001 &2
\end{bmatrix}^T$ and y an approximate solution,so that $Ay-b=\begin{bmatrix}
0.001 &0
\end{bmatrix}^T$ .Find an upper bound of the relative error $\frac{||x-y||_{1}}{||x||_{1}}$ .

I found that it is equal to 2,could you tell me if it is right?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
evinda said:
Hello! :)
I am looking at the following exercise:
Let the linear system $Ax=b$ with $\begin{pmatrix}
2.001 & 2\\
2& 2
\end{pmatrix}$
,$b=\begin{bmatrix}
2.001 &2
\end{bmatrix}^T$ and y an approximate solution,so that $Ay-b=\begin{bmatrix}
0.001 &0
\end{bmatrix}^T$ .Find an upper bound of the relative error $\frac{||x-y||_{1}}{||x||_{1}}$ .

I found that it is equal to 2,could you tell me if it is right?

Hi! ;)

The actual result is $\frac{||x-y||_{1}}{||x||_{1}} = 2$.
But assuming we're not supposed to use the solution for $x$ and $y$, I get an upper bound of $2.001$.

I like Serena said:
Hi! ;)

The actual result is $\frac{||x-y||_{1}}{||x||_{1}} = 2$.
But assuming we're not supposed to use the solution for $x$ and $y$, I get an upper bound of $2.001$.

How can we find the upper bound,without using the values of $x$ and $y$ ? :confused:

evinda said:
How can we find the upper bound,without using the values of $x$ and $y$ ? :confused:

By using the condition number of the matrix.
$$\text{cond}_1(A) = ||A||_1 \cdot ||A^{-1}||_1$$
Can it be that it is in your notes? :rolleyes:

I like Serena said:
By using the condition number of the matrix.
$$\text{cond}_1(A) = ||A||_1 \cdot ||A^{-1}||_1$$
Can it be that it is in your notes? :rolleyes:

To elaborate:
$$\frac{||\Delta x||_1}{||x||_1} \le \text{cond}_1(A) \frac{||\Delta b||_1}{||b||_1}$$

I like Serena said:
To elaborate:
$$\frac{||\Delta x||_1}{||x||_1} \le \text{cond}_1(A) \frac{||\Delta b||_1}{||b||_1}$$

We use $\frac{||\Delta x||_1}{||x||_1} \le \text{cond}_1(A) \frac{||\Delta b||_1}{||b||_1}$,if we have a derangment of $x$ and $b$.Right?But...is there a derangment of $b$ in this case?? :confused:

evinda said:
We use $\frac{||\Delta x||_1}{||x||_1} \le \text{cond}_1(A) \frac{||\Delta b||_1}{||b||_1}$,if we have a derangment of $x$ and $b$.Right?But...is there a derangment of $b$ in this case?? :confused:

Huh? How are derangements involved?? :confused:
What do you think a derangement is?

When $Ax=b$, then $\frac{||\Delta x||_1}{||x||_1} \le \text{cond}_1(A) \frac{||\Delta b||_1}{||b||_1}$ applies.

I like Serena said:

When $Ax=b$, then $\frac{||\Delta x||_1}{||x||_1} \le \text{cond}_1(A) \frac{||\Delta b||_1}{||b||_1}$ applies.

Could I also do this like that: $\frac{||x-y||}{||x||}=\frac{||A^{-1}Ay-A^{-1}b||}{||x||}=\frac{||A^{-1}r||}{||x||}$ or would this be wrong?

- - - Updated - - -

I like Serena said:

Don't we ue this formula if b and x change?? :confused:

evinda said:
Could I also do this like that: $\frac{||x-y||}{||x||}=\frac{||A^{-1}Ay-A^{-1}b||}{||x||}=\frac{||A^{-1}r||}{||x||}$ or would this be wrong?

That is correct... but it doesn't get us where we need to go...

Note that $||\Delta x|| = ||x - y||$, which is the error in $x$.
And that $||\Delta b|| = || Ay - b ||$, the error in $b$.
- - - Updated - - -
Don't we ue this formula if b and x change?? :confused:

Huh?? :confused:

I like Serena said:
That is correct... but it doesn't get us where we need to go...

Note that $||\Delta x|| = ||x - y||$, which is the error in $x$.
And that $||\Delta b|| = || Ay - b ||$, the error in $b$.
I understand now! :) I applied the formula you said me and I found that the relative error is $\leq 2.0005$.Have you found the same??

evinda said:
I understand now! :) I applied the formula you said me and I found that the relative error is $\leq 2.0005$.Have you found the same??

Yes! (Nod)

I like Serena said:
Yes! (Nod)

Great!Thank you very much! :)

Related to Upper bound of the relative error

1. What is the upper bound of the relative error?

The upper bound of the relative error is the maximum possible difference between an estimated value and the true value of a quantity, expressed as a percentage of the true value.

2. How is the upper bound of the relative error calculated?

The upper bound of the relative error can be calculated by taking the absolute value of the difference between the estimated value and the true value, dividing it by the true value, and then multiplying by 100 to express it as a percentage.

3. Why is the upper bound of the relative error important?

The upper bound of the relative error is important because it helps us understand the accuracy and precision of our measurements or calculations. It allows us to quantify the potential error in our results and determine the level of confidence we can have in them.

4. How can the upper bound of the relative error be reduced?

The upper bound of the relative error can be reduced by using more precise measurement tools or methods, increasing the number of observations or calculations, and minimizing sources of error such as environmental factors or human error.

5. Is the upper bound of the relative error always a fixed value?

No, the upper bound of the relative error can vary depending on the quantity being measured or calculated, the level of precision in the measurement, and the sources of error involved. It is important to determine the upper bound of the relative error for each specific situation.