Unwanted Node Movement in Abaqus

In summary, the varying motion of nodes in the theta plane during a radial expansion in Abaqus may be due to the compression of elements. This can potentially be reduced by refining the mesh or applying a boundary condition to constrain the nodes in the theta plane. However, some level of rotation may be unavoidable in this type of analysis.
Navigator14
Hi, I am brand new to these forums and fairly new to abaqus as well.

I am doing a simple radial expansion on an axi-symmetric semicircle with a smaller semicircular hole in it. In order to do so, I created a datum CSYS that is cylindrical in nature but aligned with the global CSYS. In other words the R axis is the X axis and the T axis is the Y axis. After applying my displacement boundary condition to the inner semicircle to expand outward, I get the desired radial displacement, but I also get some varying motion of the nodes in the theta plane about 2 orders of magnitude lower than the radial displacement magnitude.

Any idea on why that might be? My sides of the semicircle are constrained with a XSym boundary condition and my outer surface of the semicircle is encastred. Is this due to the compression of the elements? And if so, is it unavoidable? I wouldn't want to create another boundary condition preventing theta-plane displacement?

I am uploading the input file as a .txt.

Attachments

• 1x_Disp_Norm.txt
    1.6 MB · Views: 368
Engineering news on Phys.org

Hello and welcome to the forums! It's great to see new users exploring the capabilities of Abaqus.

Based on the information you provided, it seems like the varying motion of the nodes in the theta plane could be due to the compression of the elements. When you are applying a displacement boundary condition to the inner semicircle, the elements in that region are being stretched and compressed, which can result in some small rotations in the theta plane.

One way to potentially reduce these rotations is to refine the mesh in the region of interest. This will allow for more accurate representation of the deformation and may help to minimize the rotation of nodes in the theta plane.

Another option could be to apply a boundary condition to constrain the nodes in the theta plane, such as an Rz boundary condition. This would prevent any rotation in the theta plane and may help to reduce the issue you are experiencing.

Overall, some level of rotation in the theta plane may be unavoidable due to the nature of the problem and the constraints applied. However, by refining the mesh and carefully selecting boundary conditions, you may be able to minimize the effects of these rotations.

I hope this helps and good luck with your analysis!

Related to Unwanted Node Movement in Abaqus

1. What is "Unwanted Node Movement" in Abaqus?

"Unwanted Node Movement" in Abaqus refers to the unintentional displacement or shifting of nodes in a finite element model during a simulation. This can occur due to various reasons, such as incorrect boundary conditions, inadequate meshing, or material properties that are not accurately represented in the model.

2. How does unwanted node movement affect simulation results?

Unwanted node movement can significantly impact the accuracy of simulation results. It can lead to unrealistic deformations, stresses, and strains in the model, which can affect the overall reliability of the simulation. It is crucial to address and minimize unwanted node movement to obtain accurate and meaningful results.

3. What are some common causes of unwanted node movement in Abaqus?

There are several potential causes of unwanted node movement in Abaqus. Some common ones include inadequate mesh density, incorrect boundary conditions, improper element formulation, and inaccurate material properties. It is essential to carefully review and verify all these aspects in the model to prevent unwanted node movement.

4. How can unwanted node movement be prevented in Abaqus?

To prevent unwanted node movement in Abaqus, it is essential to carefully review and verify all aspects of the model, including mesh density, boundary conditions, element formulation, and material properties. It is also helpful to perform sensitivity analyses and refine the model based on the results to ensure more accurate simulations.

5. What are some techniques for minimizing unwanted node movement in Abaqus?

There are several techniques that can help minimize unwanted node movement in Abaqus. These include using higher-order elements, adaptive meshing, and incorporating more accurate material properties. Additionally, performing convergence studies and refining the mesh can also help reduce unwanted node movement and improve the accuracy of simulation results.