Unveiling the Mysterious 'Black Star': New Astronomical Discovery

In summary, there is no such thing as a black star in the sense of an astronomical object that is all black on the outside, emits darkness instead of light, and contains water. The term "black star" was an early name for black holes, which emit radiation like any other black body. There are also objects like brown dwarfs and black dwarfs, but the universe is not old enough for any black dwarfs to have formed yet.
rmalik
Is there such a thing as a black star? Not black hole.

I read something from a national geographic magazine a few months back that was about an astronomical object. It was all black on the outside, emitted darkness instead of light, and it contained some water. It was some new discovery or something. I may have got some of it wrong, it was a while ago and I can't remember much. Maybe it was a hypothesis :S

If anybody knows what I'm talking about or clear any of this up, that would be great :)

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Sure, there are gazillions of them - objects not sufficiently massive to trigger hydrogen fusion in their cores. Jupiter is one example.

Black star was an early name for black holes...the latter coined by John Wheeler I believe.

rmalik said:
emitted darkness

This doesn't make sense. How could something emit the absence of something? Either you misunderstood the article, or it was written by someone who knows nothing about this kind of thing! As Chronos notes, there are many large objects which are large starlike balls of gas which do not shine under fusion, although they are typically referred to as brown dwarfs. And they do radiate, just like any other black body, so they certainly are not black!

Could you give a reference if you have one? I'd like to see this absurd claim!

Naty1 said:
Black star was an early name for black holes...the latter coined by John Wheeler I believe.

Also, a black dwarf is the name given a remnant of a white dwarf after it has cooled sufficiently. However, the Universe is not old enough for any black dwarfs to have formed yet.

From wiki-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Star_(semiclassical_gravity )

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Unveiling the Mysterious 'Black Star': New Astronomical Discovery

1. What is the "Black Star" that has been recently discovered?

The "Black Star" is a massive celestial object that is believed to be a black hole or a neutron star.

2. How was the "Black Star" discovered?

The "Black Star" was discovered using a combination of data from various telescopes and observatories, including radio and X-ray telescopes.

3. What makes the "Black Star" mysterious?

The "Black Star" is considered mysterious because it has not been fully identified yet and its exact nature is still being studied by scientists.

4. What potential impact does the "Black Star" have on our understanding of the universe?

The discovery of the "Black Star" could provide valuable insights into the formation and evolution of galaxies and the role of black holes in the universe.

5. What further research is being conducted on the "Black Star"?

Scientists are continuing to study the "Black Star" to gather more data and information about its properties, behavior, and potential impact on the surrounding environment.