Unusual coulomb potential

In summary, the conversation discusses a Fourier representation of the Coulomb interaction in a box of finite volume, as well as the challenges in solving this problem in a jellium model. It is suggested to use semi-empirical methods like LDA density functional theory. The conversation also touches on the issue of using periodic boundary conditions and the computational efficiency of the methods. The main goal is to calculate the ground-state energy of N electrons in a box.
Morberticus
I have seen the Fourier transform of the coulomb potential quite often.

However, I have come across a sum expression for an electrostatic potential

[tex]V_{cb}(r-r') = \frac{1}{V}\sum_{q \neq 0} \frac{4\pi}{q^2}e^{iq(r-r')}[/tex]

It is equation (2.6) here: http://people.web.psi.ch/mudry/FALL01/lecture03.pdf

I have assumed this is the coulomb integral. Is it? Has anyone come across such an expression before? Is it valid to take such an expansion for the coulomb integral in a box of finite volume, under the Jellium model?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it's a Fourier representation of the Coulomb interaction. Note that excluding the term with q=0 is due a subtraction of the energy of the interaction with the homogeneous positive background.
I think the main problem in solving your jellium in a box model is that the single particle wavefunctions are now of the form sin and cos and have an explicit dependence on x, while the eigenfunctions with periodic boundary conditions depend on x only via a rather trivial phase factor. I.e. you loose translation symmetry, which will probably kill you.
As a poster in your other thread already remarked, you probably will have to resort to semi-empirical methods like LDA density functional theory.

DrDu said:
Yes, it's a Fourier representation of the Coulomb interaction. Note that excluding the term with q=0 is due a subtraction of the energy of the interaction with the homogeneous positive background.
I think the main problem in solving your jellium in a box model is that the single particle wavefunctions are now of the form sin and cos and have an explicit dependence on x, while the eigenfunctions with periodic boundary conditions depend on x only via a rather trivial phase factor. I.e. you loose translation symmetry, which will probably kill you.
As a poster in your other thread already remarked, you probably will have to resort to semi-empirical methods like LDA density functional theory.

Thanks for the confirmation.

If I used periodic boundary conditions (which I am guessing would correspond to an 'open' box), would I still be integrating over just the volume of the box for <ab|V|cd>? With periodic functions, if I integrate over infinity, I stumble across products of dirac functions and dirac-orthogonality stops me. If I integrate over the box, I get a sum of well-behaved functions that look like sinc functions that are simple to work with.

So if I were to, say, interpret the box as an 'open' box, can I treat the periodic functions as usual (i.e. Normalise them over the volume of the box and build coulomb integrals by integrating over just the box)?

If I can't, I have written a numerical program that generates the integrals using sin and cos functions, and a finite number of terms for the coulomb representation (from -100 to 100) and certainly kills me in terms of computational time (but it is easily parallelised so I'm not too worried about that). When you said it will kill me, do you mean it in another way? If the physics is sound, I can live with inefficiency.

What do you want to calculate, exactly?

DrDu said:
What do you want to calculate, exactly?

Essentially the ground-state energy of N electrons in a box.

Related to Unusual coulomb potential

What is an unusual coulomb potential?

An unusual coulomb potential is a type of potential energy function that describes the interaction between two charged particles. It is called "unusual" because it deviates from the traditional coulomb potential, which follows the inverse square law.

How is an unusual coulomb potential different from a traditional coulomb potential?

An unusual coulomb potential can have different mathematical forms and may not follow the inverse square law. It can also include additional terms that account for non-traditional interactions between charged particles.

What are some examples of systems that exhibit an unusual coulomb potential?

Some examples include systems with charged particles in a non-uniform medium, systems with charged particles in the presence of magnetic fields, and systems with charged particles interacting through a dielectric medium.

What are the implications of an unusual coulomb potential in scientific research?

An unusual coulomb potential allows for a more accurate description of complex physical systems. It can help researchers understand the behavior of charged particles in non-traditional scenarios, leading to advancements in fields such as plasma physics, materials science, and astrophysics.

How is an unusual coulomb potential calculated and represented?

An unusual coulomb potential is typically calculated using mathematical models and equations that take into account the specific properties and interactions of the charged particles in the system. It can be represented graphically as a potential energy curve, with the potential energy on the y-axis and the distance between the particles on the x-axis.