Unsure of the Meaning of "n|q"? Get Help Here!

• Thread starter Saitama
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mean
In summary, "n | q" means that n divides q or that q is divisible by n. This is represented by an integer p, such that q = np.
Saitama

Homework Statement

This is no homework question, i could not understand a statement from the book Complex Numbers from A to ...Z because i don't know the meaning of the symbol used.
Here is a screenshot:
358dh80.png

The problem is what does "n|q" mean?

Any help is appreciated! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
n | q means "n divides q" or "q is divisible by n". In other words, there is an integer p such that q = np.

eumyang said:
n | q means "n divides q" or "q is divisible by n". In other words, there is an integer p such that q = np.

Thanks eumyang! :smile:

Related to Unsure of the Meaning of "n|q"? Get Help Here!

1. What does "n|q" mean?

"n|q" is a symbol used in mathematics and computer science to represent "not equal." It indicates that two values are not equal to each other.

2. How do I solve equations with "n|q"?

When solving equations with "n|q," you must treat it like any other inequality symbol. You can isolate the variable on one side of the equation and determine the range of values that make the statement true.

3. Can "n|q" be used in place of "!=" in coding?

Yes, "n|q" can be used as an alternative to "!=" in coding. However, it is not a widely used symbol and may cause confusion for other programmers.

4. Is "n|q" the same as "≠"?

Yes, "n|q" is the same as "≠." They are both symbols used to represent "not equal" in different contexts.

5. When should I use "n|q" instead of "!="?

You can use "n|q" instead of "!=" in any situation where you need to indicate that two values are not equal. However, it is recommended to use "!=" as it is a more commonly recognized symbol.