Unstable fixed point.help me U may find interesting

• Thread starter shatranz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Interesting
In summary, the speaker has a 3-D non-linear equation and has linearized it to get a single fixed point, which is a repelling spiral. However, no matter what initial point is chosen, the trajectory always converges to the fixed point. They are wondering why this is happening and provide the equation for reference. They also mention that all trajectories seem to reach a specific point, (0.7,-2.4,-18.8), which has been calculated using linearization.
shatranz
Unstable fixed point...help me!...U may find interesting!

Dear friends,

I have a 3-D non-linear equation. I have inearised it to get a single fixed point which turns out to be a repelling spiral (one +ve real eigenvalue, and two complex conjugates with +ve real part)...Now, the problem is whatever initial point (even if the initial point is very close to the fixed point itself, not to talk of the far of initial conditions) I take in the phase space and run 4th order runge-kutta code, the trajectory converges to the fixed point...why should it be?..(To me it seems strange as the fixed point is repelling spiral!)...Please help me!

Physics news on Phys.org
please show a diagram and the equation.

The equation is of the following type:

dx/dt=-a*sqrt(x^2+y^2+z^2)*x - y*c*cos(alpha)
dy/dt=-a*sqrt(x^2+y^2+z^2)*y + x*c*cos(alpha)+z*c*sin(alpha)
dz/dt=-a*sqrt(x^2+y^2+z^2)*z - y*c*sin(alpha)-b

where a,b,c,alpha are constants...all positive

I don't have the diagram right now...but in whatever octant u take a point as the initial condition then for a=0.027, b=10, c=0.16, alpha=0.5 , all trajectories seem to reach a repelling spiral at about (0.7,-2.4,-18.8)...which has been calculated using linearisation technique...

Related to Unstable fixed point.help me U may find interesting

1. What is an unstable fixed point?

An unstable fixed point is a point in a dynamical system where the system will move away from it if it is slightly perturbed. It is not a stable equilibrium point and is often associated with chaotic behavior.

2. How is an unstable fixed point different from a stable fixed point?

An unstable fixed point is different from a stable fixed point in that the system will move away from it if it is perturbed, whereas a stable fixed point will return to the same point after being perturbed.

3. What causes an unstable fixed point?

An unstable fixed point is typically caused by the interplay of multiple forces or factors in a system. These forces may be nonlinear, leading to chaotic behavior, and can also be influenced by external factors such as noise or disturbances.

4. Are there any real-world examples of unstable fixed points?

Yes, there are many examples of unstable fixed points in the natural world. One common example is the behavior of a pendulum, where slight variations in initial conditions can lead to drastically different outcomes. Another example is weather patterns, which can exhibit chaotic behavior due to the interaction of multiple factors.

5. How can we study and understand unstable fixed points?

Unstable fixed points can be studied using mathematical models and simulations, as well as through experimentation and observation in real-world systems. By analyzing the behavior of these points, we can gain a better understanding of the underlying dynamics and potentially predict and control chaotic behavior.