Unruh Effect: When Does an Object Receive Radiation?

• Thread starter tzimie
  • Start date
In summary, when an object starts accelerating, it immediately receives Unruh radiation due to assuming an accelerating frame. The Rindler horizon is not essential for the Unruh effect, as the temperature arises locally in the vacuum just from acceleration. However, the horizon is relevant for the radiation from cosmological horizons, which can have a significant impact on the average density of energy during the inflation era.
tzimie
When an object starts accelerating, when does it receive Unruh radiation?

1. After some delay, because it takes time for the photons to travel from the Rindler horizon
2. Immediately, because an object instantly "assumes" an accelerating frame, which is already filled with Unruh radiation.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Demystifier said:
Number 2.

So we detect Unruh radiation even if Rindler horizon is not visible - say, is obscured by something?

Likes marcus
That's logically the same as "Can I still see something when my hands are covering my eyes?"

Vanadium 50 said:
That's logically the same as "Can I still see something when my hands are covering my eyes?"

What if your hands (screen) are far enough from you - almost at Rindler's horizon?
Then saying that distant screen blocks Unruh radiation is the same as claiming #1 in my first post.

tzimie said:
So we detect Unruh radiation even if Rindler horizon is not visible - say, is obscured by something?
That's correct. The horizon is not essential for the Unruh effect. See e.g.
http://lanl.arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0103108 [Mod.Phys.Lett.A16:579-581,2001]

Likes marcus
Thanks Demy! It's good to have that point clarified!
So (and please correct this if it's wrong) the temperature arises locally in the vacuum just from acceleration---and the Rindler horizon is a nonessential descriptive parameter of the acceleration?

Thanks also to Tzimie for asking the right question to elicit the clarification.

marcus said:
So (and please correct this if it's wrong) the temperature arises locally in the vacuum just from acceleration---and the Rindler horizon is a nonessential descriptive parameter of the acceleration?
That's almost correct, with a caveat that the effect is local in space (a very small detector can see the effect) but not completely local in time (in order for the detector response to have a thermal spectrum, the acceleration must exist for a long time).

Incidentally, today a new paper appeared which discusses these things in more detail:
http://lanl.arxiv.org/abs/1501.00119

Likes marcus
Demystifier said:
That's almost correct, with a caveat that the effect is local in space (a very small detector can see the effect) but not completely local in time (in order for the detector response to have a thermal spectrum, the acceleration must exist for a long time).

Incidentally, today a new paper appeared which discusses these things in more detail:
http://lanl.arxiv.org/abs/1501.00119
Yes! I saw that and logged it on the biblio thread! Nicolaevici "Unruh effect without Rindler horizon"! just what you were talking about (and wrote about several years ago.

Thank you, and I am happy because my intuition was right :)
What's about radiation from the cosmological horizons in our expanding Universe? Do we need to see cosmological horizons or not?

tzimie said:
Thank you, and I am happy because my intuition was right :)
What's about radiation from the cosmological horizons in our expanding Universe? Do we need to see cosmological horizons or not?
Unlike Rindler horizon, the cosmological horizon (similarly to the black hole horizon) is quite relevant for the radiation.

I was also wondering

During the inflation era when the expansion was so rapid --> cosmological horizons were so close --> radiation from them was so intense --> average density of energy could be significant to influence and even to cancel the inflation?

Related to Unruh Effect: When Does an Object Receive Radiation?

1. What is the Unruh Effect?

The Unruh Effect, also known as the Fulling-Davies-Unruh Effect, is a theoretical phenomenon in quantum field theory that suggests that an accelerated observer will perceive a thermal bath of particles, even in the absence of an external field.

2. When does an object receive radiation according to the Unruh Effect?

An object will receive radiation according to the Unruh Effect when it is in a state of acceleration. This means that the object is experiencing a change in velocity, either through linear or rotational motion.

3. How does the Unruh Effect relate to the Hawking radiation?

The Unruh Effect is often compared to the Hawking radiation, which is the phenomenon where black holes emit particles due to quantum effects. Both effects involve the creation of particles from vacuum fluctuations, but the Unruh Effect applies to all accelerated objects, while the Hawking radiation only applies to black holes.

4. Can the Unruh Effect be observed in real life?

As of now, the Unruh Effect has not been directly observed in real life. This is because the effect is incredibly small and would require an object to be accelerated at extremely high speeds. However, some experimental evidence has been found that supports the existence of the Unruh Effect.

5. What are the implications of the Unruh Effect?

The Unruh Effect has important implications in understanding the relationship between quantum mechanics and general relativity. It also has potential applications in areas such as cosmology and quantum computing. Additionally, the effect challenges our current understanding of how particles are created and the nature of vacuum fluctuations.