Unraveling the Mystery of Music Intervals

In summary, the intervals in 12-equal-interval scale are good approximations for ratios such as 2:1 (octave), 3:2 (perfect fifth), 4:3 (perfect fourth), 5:4 (major third), 6:5 (minor third). These ratios sound good to the human ear because the notes share some of the same harmonics. However, why do 12 intervals exist? Is it human nature?
Stephanus said:
Thanks Pythagorean for your answer.
But, the more I think of it, the more I disagree with my previous statement. It's not that 12 can be divided by 2,3,4 or six.
It's that, as DrGreg before pointed out,Minor third: 2(1/12) x 3 ≈ 6:5
Major third: 2(1/12) x 4 ≈ 5:4
Perfect fourth: 2(1/12) x 5 ≈ 4:3
Perfect fifth: 2(1/12) x 7 ≈ 3:2
Octave: 2(1/12) x 12 is of course 2:1
Don't you think so Pythagorean?

I guess this is the answer of my curiosity for years. So simple :smile:
Okay..., one more question for anybody.
π, e, golden ratio, they are all, I think, universally accepted. I mean really universally. Any civilization even outside the Earth will use those constants. What about [itex]\sqrt[12]{2}[/itex], is it universally used?

Any idea?
My point was that these are two distinct issues. One is the issue of how many notes you subdivide the octave by, the other is how you distribute that subdivision. There's not one way to do it, the only reason that Dr Greg can talk about approximating these ratios in the first place is because these are the ratios that are already desired, and these ratios come from higher order subdivisions (dividing the string in half, thirds, and fourths).

Likes Stephanus
<h2>What are music intervals?</h2><p>Music intervals are the distance or relationship between two musical pitches. They are the building blocks of melody and harmony in music.</p><h2>Why is it important to understand music intervals?</h2><p>Understanding music intervals is crucial for musicians because it helps them to accurately perform and interpret music. It also allows for improvisation and composing new music.</p><h2>How are music intervals measured?</h2><p>Music intervals are measured in half steps, which is the distance between two adjacent keys on a piano. They can also be measured in whole steps, which is equivalent to two half steps.</p><h2>What is the difference between a major and minor interval?</h2><p>A major interval is a wider distance between two pitches, while a minor interval is a narrower distance. Generally, major intervals sound more uplifting and happy, while minor intervals sound more melancholic and sad.</p><h2>Do all music intervals have the same sound?</h2><p>No, each music interval has a distinct sound and feeling. For example, a perfect fifth interval has a very harmonious and stable sound, while a tritone interval has a very dissonant and tense sound.</p>

Related to Unraveling the Mystery of Music Intervals

What are music intervals?

Music intervals are the distance or relationship between two musical pitches. They are the building blocks of melody and harmony in music.

Why is it important to understand music intervals?

Understanding music intervals is crucial for musicians because it helps them to accurately perform and interpret music. It also allows for improvisation and composing new music.

How are music intervals measured?

Music intervals are measured in half steps, which is the distance between two adjacent keys on a piano. They can also be measured in whole steps, which is equivalent to two half steps.

What is the difference between a major and minor interval?

A major interval is a wider distance between two pitches, while a minor interval is a narrower distance. Generally, major intervals sound more uplifting and happy, while minor intervals sound more melancholic and sad.

Do all music intervals have the same sound?

No, each music interval has a distinct sound and feeling. For example, a perfect fifth interval has a very harmonious and stable sound, while a tritone interval has a very dissonant and tense sound.