Unraveling a Mysterious Hut: A Puzzling Discovery in the Wilderness

• Thread starter matthyaouw
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mystery
In summary: The dates and numbers seem to correspond to when they harvested and sold the "buds" or "poppy seed heads". The candles and writing on the table suggest that they were spending time in the hut after dark.In summary, the conversation describes the discovery of a run-down hut with a table, chairs, and remnants of candles inside. The table is covered in numerical notation, likely used for tracking inventory and sales of illegal substances. The last entry mentions "buds" and "poppy seed heads" and the site is near water, possibly related to fishing. The conversation participants also speculate that the hut may have been used as a shelter for homeless individuals.
matthyaouw
Gold Member
I was out for a wander yesterday when I stumbled across a little run-down hut with 3 walls and no door. Inside was a table, 3 chairs, remnants of some candles and a pile of poppy seed heads. Written in pencil all over the table was some notation. It was mainly numbers set out in rows, arranged by dates a dew days apart, but not regularly spaced. Here's an example of a line of notation:

3 sept 07 9.6's 19.7's 12.8's 3.9's = 43 index 307 * less

The date is sometimes prefixed with RY, once by Rec. Yard. The final number is sometimes followed by "[number] buds less" or "[number] buds". Part way down between 2 entries are the words "site bulldozed"

The last entry reads "12 nov 07 Some. Too cold. No fun- film can full"

I also remember seeing the words "so long and thanks for all the fish" and the site was by a stream/drain, so it could be related to fishing.

Someone was recording something pretty rigourously, but it wasn't important enough to warrant bringing paper... It's all the same writing so no evidence of multiple people. The candles suggest at least part of the time they were here after dark. Does anyone have the slightest idea what any of this might mean? I wish I'd realized this was going to bug me so much- I'd have recorded it in more detail. Some photos to follow...

Physics news on Phys.org
matthyaouw said:
I also remember seeing the words "so long and thanks for all the fish" and the site was by a stream/drain, so it could be related to fishing.
That's what the dolphins said in "Hitchhiker's guide to the Universe".

Evo said:
That's what the dolphins said in "Hitchhiker's guide to the Universe".

I thought that was it. Its why (if at all) it's relevant that I'm wondering. I don't think the stream was big enough to support dolphins :wink:

One of the photos shows dates corresponding to "8 cod" and "3 cod", then further down, "End of season."

And the hut is next to a small creek...it's someone's fishing shelter, I bet.

I had thought that, but they shouldn't be finding cod in there. I don't think they live in the estuary that the stream empties in to. Even if they did, the streams and drains are all blocked off at high tide to stop them letting water past the flood embankment. If saltwater fish are getting in, someone's not doing their job right.

Maybe they couldn't tell a cod from a dolphin.

The exterior picture indicates that there had been a fourth wall or partial wall.

There is also a vent pipe extending up through the roof indicating that a plumbing fixture had once been present.

Is that a sign post on the left side of the exterior pic ?? The building may possibly have been used to study whether any fresh or salt water fish were making it back up into the drainage way.

You may be able to find out more about the property and the building through your local county assessors office. In my locality I can do that entirely online.

Around here homeless people would be living in it.

matthyaouw said:
3 sept 07 9.6's 19.7's 12.8's 3.9's = 43 index 307 * less
Note that just above the 9.6's is the number 54, the product of 9 and 6. Then, above the 19.7s is 187, the cumulative total of 54 plus 19 times 7. The final value 307 is incorrect, it should be 310. Other lines follow this pattern. For instance:

5.8's 4.9's (76) 4.10's (116) 3.11's (149) 1.13 (162) 1.15 = 18 index 177 + 5Bd

where 177 is correct. Also,

4.8's 3.9's (59) 7.10's (129) 6.11's (195) 4.12's = 24 index 143 + 4 Bds = 28

143 should be 243.
Index appears to be the sum divided by 10 and rounded. Add Bds to index to get the final number.

matthyaouw said:
I was out for a wander yesterday when I stumbled across a little run-down hut with ... a pile of poppy seed heads. ... The final number is sometimes followed by "[number] buds less" or "[number] buds". Part way down between 2 entries are the words "site bulldozed"
Whether those were poppy seed heads, or the seed from some other kind of "bud", I suspect something fishy was going on here, and it wasn't fishing.

jimmysnyder said:
Note that just above the 9.6's is the number 54, the product of 9 and 6. Then, above the 19.7s is 187, the cumulative total of 54 plus 19 times 7. The final value 307 is incorrect, it should be 310. Other lines follow this pattern. For instance:

143 should be 243.
Index appears to be the sum divided by 10 and rounded. Add Bds to index to get the final number.
Bravo!

I agree with DH. Call me a hippie, but when I hear the term 'buds', it doesn't indicate the presence of fish. My bet is that it was a really inept accounting department for a grow-op.

It is kind of exciting looking at some real life puzzle. What is that black stuff on the ground on the left of the interior picture. It looks like ash. I wouldn't be surprised if someone was smoking in there.

By the bye, Matt, it might be a good idea to alert the authorities, or a least stay away from the area. If DH and I are on the right track, it could be a very dangerous situation.

Wow this is awesome. I love finding things like I'm peering into someone's life.

Danger said:
I agree with DH. Call me a hippie, but when I hear the term 'buds', it doesn't indicate the presence of fish. My bet is that it was a really inept accounting department for a grow-op.

That's what it looks like to me too. Not sure if they were trying to record crop growth/yields or sales, but it really does sound like one of those.

As a more benign option, maybe some photographer had holed up in there and was developing a bit of cabin fever.

With the "site bulldozed" statement, I thought it could be something scribbled down as calculations by a demolition crew that didn't need to be saved once the job was done, but that date range is far too long for that to make sense.

I took the "site bulldozed" statement as meaning that the DEA or state equivalent found the place.

I agree with Danger: Alert the authorities, and stay away. If this is (was) a drug cultivator's shack, you are risking your life by poking your head in it.

jimmysnyder said:

143 should be 243.

Hey, nicely spotted!

Danger said:

Interesting idea, but what could be growing? As far as I know, the obvious culprit needs to be warm with high light, but average temperatures for october/november (latest 2007 entries) are between 8 & 1.3 degrees C and frosts aren't uncommon. The hut faces on to a public footpath so growing anything in there for more than a day or so would be pretty impossible without getting noticed and there's nowhere else indoors that could be used.
Maybe it's mushrooms? I don't know much about where they grow...
Or opium (poppy heads!). I don't know how likely that is...

You can view the site on google maps here. The hut is the really indistinct brown smudge to the left of the ditch, roughly in the middle of the map. Just to the southeast there is a gravel pit which has since expanded into the field next to the forest. Perhaps this is the bulldozed site...

I will steer clear of the site for the time being I think...

Last edited:
I wonder what the building was used for in the first place. Its all very interesting.

Matt, I didn't realize that you're in England until I zoomed the map out. That might be grounds for a re-think, since a lot of your terminology is different. Over here, 'buds' refers to the flowering part of a marijuana plant. It might be something totally innocuous in your area.

Related to Unraveling a Mysterious Hut: A Puzzling Discovery in the Wilderness

1. What is the significance of the mysterious hut in the wilderness?

The mysterious hut in the wilderness is significant because it is a puzzling discovery that raises questions about how it came to be there and who may have built it. It also presents an exciting opportunity for scientists to unravel its mysteries and potentially learn more about the history of the area.

2. How did you initially discover the hut?

The hut was discovered during an aerial survey of the wilderness area. The team noticed a strange structure that appeared to be man-made and decided to investigate further on foot. This led to the discovery of the hut and the beginning of our research into its origins.

3. What do you think the purpose of the hut was?

At this point in our research, we can only speculate on the purpose of the hut. However, based on its location and construction, we believe it may have been used for shelter or storage by hunters or travelers passing through the area. It is also possible that it held some cultural or spiritual significance to the indigenous people of the region.

4. What methods have you used to unravel the mystery of the hut?

We have used a variety of methods to unravel the mystery of the hut, including archaeological surveys, carbon dating of materials found at the site, and analysis of the hut's construction and materials. We have also consulted with experts in the field of indigenous studies to gain insight into the possible cultural significance of the hut.

5. What have you learned so far about the hut and its origins?

Our research is still ongoing, but we have learned that the hut was likely built at least a few hundred years ago and may have been used by multiple groups of people over time. We have also discovered some unique architectural features and artifacts that may provide clues to the hut's purpose and origins. However, there is still much more to uncover and we are excited to continue our investigation.