Unlocking the Secrets of Prof. Verschure's Rosetta Stones

In summary, this summer, as a present to myself for being promoted, I purchased a collection of thin sections that Prof. Rob Verschure, who at the time was faculty in the Geological Institute in Amsterdam, published his findings on. Many of the collected samples have been fully characterized, for example this thin section of a carbonatite: Sample Hor 1 has been classified as a calcite-bearing clinopyroxene-hornblende lamprophyre that has been dated to 313 Ma. This sample contains abundant augite and brown hornblende. This sample (Fen 23) consists of zoned biotite and carbonates, dated to 594 Ma: Many of the samples are carbonatites, but there
Nice pictures! However, I am generally missing pictures taken with only the polariser without analyzer. PP and epi-darkfield are fun, but not of diagnostic value. The olive-green interference colours in the pictures of the metamorphic biotite could be anomalous interference colours typical of chlorite.

The mineral on the last picture could also be anorthoclase, which also shows microcline-like structure.

Last edited:
Likes Andy Resnick
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
This week, I'm going back to a sample that was published:

Fen 235.JPG

One reason I wanted to examine this sample is that I felt I needed a 'sanity check' on my progress; the other reason has to do with the prevalence of a particular mineral in this sample, arfvedsonite (see also here).

According to the paper, this sample's petrology is:

"SF2-SF1 gneiss; along cracks Carb and Aeg -> Arf. Sample obtained 306m (Inferred distance) from contact with country rock.Primary Gneiss: 2% Quartz 40% Perthite, accessory Apatite, Zircon, Sphene. Fenitization-1 (high temperature dehydration): 15% Aegirine, 24% microcline-chessboard albite ‘matrix’. Fenitization-2 (low temperature Hydration-Carbonation): 5% Arfvedsonite, 2% Opaques, 10% Carbonatite dispersed, 2% Carbonatite veins, accessory albite.

Recall: SF1 means "strongly fenitized -1" and SF2 means "strongly fenitized -2". These designations are given based on the amount of certain minerals (and their alterations) that are present.

So: here are some images to enjoy! The first pair of images shows aergirine on the upper left side and bottom right corner, chessboard albite in the top middle, some feldspar, and arfvedsonite showing the anomalous blue bifrefringence in addition to the usual first-order color.

DSC_5723.jpg

DSC_5724.jpg

This next pair of images is mostly arfvedsonite with some calcite, feldspar, and a grain of seriticized feldspar along the right edge. A line of aegirine runs vertically just to the right of center. Again, the arfvednosite shows both first-order bifrefringence color in addition to anomalous blue:

DSC_5731.jpg

DSC_5732.jpg

The next photos are just to show off how photogenic this sample is:

DSC_5735.jpg

DSC_5734.jpg

DSC_5742.jpg

DSC_5743.jpg

And this last photo is of perthite with some needle-like inclusions- I'm guessing aegirine or possibly mica.

DSC_5726.jpg

Likes Bystander
Very nice slide! You should also try to identify the pleochroism of the arfvedsonite. From your picture, one already recognizes a change from light blue to light green parallel or perpendicular to the longitudinal extension. How is your polarisatior oriented? (NS or EW)? Do you also find a typical "head-cut"? What are the pleochroitic colours there? The picture is from W. E. Tröger, Optische Bestimmung der gesteinsbildenden Minerale, Teil I Bestimmungstabellen, 5th edition, Schweitzerbartsche Verlagsbuchhandlung, Stuttgart, 1982. The book is an absolute must have!
Furthermore, I highly recommend a look at
https://homepage.rub.de/olaf.medenbach/download/mineraloptik/
although only in German.

Attachments

• photo_5224555522487867383_y.jpg
    photo_5224555522487867383_y.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
DrDu said:
Very nice slide! You should also try to identify the pleochroism of the arfvedsonite. From your picture, one already recognizes a change from light blue to light green parallel or perpendicular to the longitudinal extension. How is your polarisatior oriented? (NS or EW)? Do you also find a typical "head-cut"? What are the pleochroitic colours there? The picture is from W. E. Tröger, Optische Bestimmung der gesteinsbildenden Minerale, Teil I Bestimmungstabellen, 5th edition, Schweitzerbartsche Verlagsbuchhandlung, Stuttgart, 1982. The book is an absolute must have!
Furthermore, I highly recommend a look at
https://homepage.rub.de/olaf.medenbach/download/mineraloptik/
although only in German.
Thanks for the feedback! I was busy last week working with my solar eclipse images, these are excellent questions/suggestions- thanks!

This week's sample is another trachyte:

Fen 249.JPG

I chose this slide due to the presence of 'something' I'm hoping someone can help identify, that is also present in many other samples. I would describe this sample as having:

Phenocrysts of altered sanidine, altered nepheline, minor amounts of altered biotite in a groundmass of acicular aegirine, platy trachytic feldspar, and ‘granules’ of feldspar (?). Minor amounts of cabonatite. Nepheline phenocrysts are heavily altered to mica (?), almost appears like glimmerite, with a rim of granulated feldspar (?)

Here's a sequence of altered nepheline, showing the 'glimmerite' and granules of 'something' on the rim:

DSC_7738.jpg

DSC_7739.jpg

DSC_7741.jpg

DSC_7755.jpg

DSC_7756.jpg

DSC_7757.jpg

DSC_7758.jpg

Whatever that foamy stuff is, it's also present in the (altered) sanidine:

DSC_7754.jpg

The little bits of carbonatite are nicely photogenic- I identified these as carbonatite due to the high birefrengence- which also helps create a 3-D appearance:

DSC_7745_2.jpg

Likes Bystander
The white rim looks like quartz to me.

DrDu said:
Very nice slide! You should also try to identify the pleochroism of the arfvedsonite. From your picture, one already recognizes a change from light blue to light green parallel or perpendicular to the longitudinal extension. How is your polarisatior oriented? (NS or EW)? Do you also find a typical "head-cut"? What are the pleochroitic colours there?
I had a few images on hand to show pleochroism- here's a pair of PP and XP images with the sample rotated 90 degrees between the sets. On the upper pair of images, the arfvedsonite is along the left half and bottom half. The (according to my eyes) green-blue pleochroism is pretty cool :).

Montage-1.jpg

About your other questions- the polarizer is oriented (I think) NS, but that's a guess based on the angle marking on the polarizer mount (zero degrees). What does "head-cut" mean- a slice perpendicular to the long axis? There are a few square-ish/diamond shapes that have a strong green -> pink color change....? I can try and get some decent images of those.

DrDu said:
The white rim looks like quartz to me.
I was wondering if that's the case. Is it an alteration product? My understanding is that these rocks are all very silica-undersaturated.

Yes, if it is quartz, it can only have formed diagenetically.

Andy Resnick said:
I had a few images on hand to show pleochroism- here's a pair of PP and XP images with the sample rotated 90 degrees between the sets. On the upper pair of images, the arfvedsonite is along the left half and bottom half. The (according to my eyes) green-blue pleochroism is pretty cool :).

View attachment 343673

About your other questions- the polarizer is oriented (I think) NS, but that's a guess based on the angle marking on the polarizer mount (zero degrees). What does "head-cut" mean- a slice perpendicular to the long axis? There are a few square-ish/diamond shapes that have a strong green -> pink color change....? I can try and get some decent images of those.
The orientation of the polariser is best detected by the pleochroism of biotite. Biotite, cut perpendicular to the sheets, appears dark if the polariser is oriented parallel to the sheets, and bright if perpendicular.
And yes, a "head cut" (my translation of the german "Kopfschnitt") is a slice perpendicular to the long axis. You should see the characteristic cleavage pattern with 60 and 120 degree angles and also pleochroism, which is different, at least in one direction, from the colours seen along the longitudinally oriented crystals.

Likes Andy Resnick
DrDu said:
The orientation of the polariser is best detected by the pleochroism of biotite. Biotite, cut perpendicular to the sheets, appears dark if the polariser is oriented parallel to the sheets, and bright if perpendicular.
And yes, a "head cut" (my translation of the german "Kopfschnitt") is a slice perpendicular to the long axis. You should see the characteristic cleavage pattern with 60 and 120 degree angles and also pleochroism, which is different, at least in one direction, from the colours seen along the longitudinally oriented crystals.
Last night I realized I need to be more careful in my polarizer description/analysis. The polarizer may indeed be oriented NS, but then the analyzer is EW, so for PP imaging I may need to be more specific about which polarizing element is in the path... stay tuned!

Andy Resnick said:
Last night I realized I need to be more careful in my polarizer description/analysis. The polarizer may indeed be oriented NS, but then the analyzer is EW, so for PP imaging I may need to be more specific about which polarizing element is in the path... stay tuned!
Usually, when talking about PPL, you assume that the polarizer is present, but the analyzer has been removed.

DrDu said:
I had a chance to take a few careful images of arfvedsonite crystals today, I think I found an arrangement with both 'head cut' and longitudinally oriented crystals in the field of view. Here's a photo with just the (EW) analyzer present:

DSC_8432_only analyzer.JPG

On the right side, the crystal is in the 'head-cut' position (I think, based on the fracture pattern), while at the lower left (and also a small one nestled in on the right) are longitudinally-oriented crystals. The same field of view, this time only the (NS) polarizer in place:

DSC_8433_only polarizer.JPG

I tried to orient the sample to maximize the color changes. Here's both analyzer and polarizer (crossed polars):

DSC_8435_crossed polaris.JPG

And a montage of PP(both polarizer and analyzer) and XP under sample rotation:

Montage_small.jpg

In the XP series, I measured an extinction angle of 25 degrees... assuming I did that correctly.

Then I just had some fun, playing with color: here's XP plus 1/4 waveplate:

DSC_8436 crossed polars and quarter wave plate.JPG

Replacing the polarizer with a circular polarizer (circularly polarized light incident on sample):

DSC_8437_circular polarizer and analyzer.JPG

And then 2 photos using only a Cokin chromofilter SA: I forgot to pay attention to the exposure setting, both of these are overexposed.

DSC_8438_only chromofilter SA position 1.JPG

DSC_8439_only chromofilter SA position 2.JPG

Likes Bystander
This is a sample of an ultramafic rock:

69 Fen 50 ii.JPG

I think this is either a phlogopite-hornblende-olivine peridotite or a pyroxene peridotite- I had (and still have) trouble distinguishing between pyroxene and amphibole in this sample. Major minerals: serpentinized olivine phenocrysts, horneblende or clinopyroxene phenocrysts, some zoned/twinned. Phlogopite phenocrysts. Opaques may be chromite? Not much of a groundmass, but what there is consists of small grains of phlogopite and carbonatite.

Here's a pair of images showing phlogopite, calcite, what I think is apatite at bottom. The grain in the upper right corner is unknown (to me):

Montage2.jpg

An oddly zoned phlogopite:

DSC_8443.jpg

Here are a couple image pairs of what has confused me- grains that are either pyroxene or amphibole grains, I can't identify which:

Montage.jpg

Montage4.jpg

Any guesses?

Here's another grain with some (relic?) serpentized olivine:

Montage3.jpg

Finally, while I've posted a few images previously of the serpentinized olivine, it's so photogenic I decided to post some more images here again:

DSC_0649.jpg

(XP with full wave plate)

DSC_8923.jpg

(Chromofilter SA)

DSC_9566.jpg

(XP)

• Love
Likes Bystander
Back