Universal Gravitation on escape velocity

You will also need to know the mass of Jupiter and its distance from the Sun, as well as the mass of the Sun. Remember that in order to escape the solar system, the spacecraft needs to have enough velocity to overcome the gravitational pull of the Sun and all the other planets in the solar system (including Jupiter). So, you will need to consider the distances and masses of all the planets, not just Jupiter. In summary, the minimum speed, relative to the sun, necessary for a spacecraft to escape the solar system starting from Earth's orbit is calculated using the formula v=sqrt(2GM/R), where G is the universal constant, M is the mass of the sun, and R is the distance between Earth and the sun
tubworld
On dealing with Universal Gravitation topic, I came across this question:
what is the min speed, relative to the sun, necessary for a spacecraft to escape the solar system if it starts at the Earth's orbit?

My working:

v=sqrt(2GM/R), where G=universal constant, R= distance between Earth and sun and m= mass of sun. Is that all?

The second part of it states that a spaceship achieved a max speed of 125000km/h on its way to photograph jupiter. Beyond what distance from the sun is this speed sufficient to escape the solar system?

for the second part, any hints? I am getting stuck. Do i need to know the order of the planets for the second part?

Physics news on Phys.org
add on my 2 cents worth

Something just came to me: for part a do i need to consider the escape speed to leave the Earth as well. (i.e. escape speed to leave Earth + escape speed to leave sun)?

tubworld said:
On dealing with Universal Gravitation topic, I came across this question:
what is the min speed, relative to the sun, necessary for a spacecraft to escape the solar system if it starts at the Earth's orbit?
My working:
v=sqrt(2GM/R), where G=universal constant, R= distance between Earth and sun and m= mass of sun. Is that all?
The second part of it states that a spaceship achieved a max speed of 125000km/h on its way to photograph jupiter. Beyond what distance from the sun is this speed sufficient to escape the solar system?
for the second part, any hints? I am getting stuck. Do i need to know the order of the planets for the second part?

As for the first part, if your spacecraft is moving in Earth's orbit around the Sun it already has some orbital velocity and you need to take this into account when calculating how much additional velocity is needed to reach solar escape velocity. I would not worry about earrh escape velocity as the problem does not say that you are starting on the surface of the Earth.

For the second part, try re-arranging your formula so that it solves for R rather than V.

Related to Universal Gravitation on escape velocity

1. What is universal gravitation?

Universal gravitation is a fundamental force of nature that describes the attractive force between any two objects with mass.

2. How is escape velocity related to universal gravitation?

Escape velocity is the minimum speed an object needs to achieve to escape the gravitational pull of a larger object, such as a planet or star. It is directly related to the strength of the gravitational force, which is described by universal gravitation.

3. How is escape velocity calculated?

Escape velocity can be calculated using the formula v = √(2GM/r), where v is the escape velocity, G is the universal gravitational constant, M is the mass of the larger object, and r is the distance between the two objects.

4. What factors affect the escape velocity of an object?

The escape velocity of an object is affected by the mass of the larger object and the distance between the two objects. The larger the mass of the object, the stronger the gravitational force and the higher the escape velocity. Similarly, the closer the object is to the larger object, the stronger the gravitational force and the higher the escape velocity.

5. How does universal gravitation impact space travel?

Universal gravitation plays a crucial role in space travel. It is responsible for keeping planets in orbit around the sun, and for controlling the motion of objects in the vast expanse of space. Understanding universal gravitation is essential for accurately calculating trajectories and achieving successful space missions.