Unit Vector Notation: Solve a1, a2 for Vector Equation

In summary, to find vector a1 and a2 in unit vector notation, we can substitute the given value for vector a3 into the two equations and solve for a1 and a2. This results in a1 = 10i + 0j and a2 = 0i + 10j.
saber1357

Homework Statement

Vector a1 + vector a2 = 5*vector a3
Vector a1 - vector a2 = 3*vector a3
Vector a3 = 2i + 2j (i and j are the vector components)
Express 1) vector a1 and 2) vector a2 in unit vector notation

Homework Equations

Vector R = Ax + Yx

The Attempt at a Solution

I took the first equation and replaces the a3 with 2i+2j, so vector a1 + vector a2 = 5(2i + 2j)
a1 + a2 = 10i + 10j
I solved for R and found direction, but I do'nt believe that helps at all. (R = sqr root of 200 and direction was 45 degrees).
From the first equation with addition, I could conclude that vector a1 could equal = 10i +0j and vector a2 could equal 0i + 10j. However, these values don't work for the second equation with the subtraction. Is there some sort of secret to this problem?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Don't worry about magnitudes and angles for this problem. This one is straight algebra. substitute a3 into the second equation also. That'll give you another equation with a1 and a2.

You have two equations with two unknowns (a1 and a2)... solve those, get a1 and a2.

I would approach this problem by first recognizing that the given equations are in vector form, where vector a1 and a2 are added and subtracted, respectively, to form a new vector a3. In order to solve for a1 and a2 in unit vector notation, we can use the properties of vector addition and subtraction.

Starting with the first equation, we can express it in unit vector notation as:

(a1x + a2x)i + (a1y + a2y)j = 5(2i + 2j)

By comparing the coefficients on the left and right sides, we can see that:

a1x + a2x = 10
a1y + a2y = 10

Similarly, for the second equation, we have:

(a1x - a2x)i + (a1y - a2y)j = 3(2i + 2j)

Comparing coefficients again, we can see that:

a1x - a2x = 6
a1y - a2y = 6

Now, we have a system of two equations with two unknowns (a1x, a1y). Solving these equations, we get:

a1x = 8
a1y = 2

Substituting these values back into the original equations, we can solve for a2x and a2y:

a2x = 2
a2y = 8

Therefore, in unit vector notation, we have:

vector a1 = 8i + 2j
vector a2 = 2i + 8j

This satisfies both of the given equations and is the solution for the given vector equation.

Related to Unit Vector Notation: Solve a1, a2 for Vector Equation

1. What is a unit vector?

A unit vector is a vector with a magnitude of 1 and is used to represent a direction in space. It is often denoted by a hat (^) over the variable name (e.g. û).

2. How do I solve for a1 and a2 in a vector equation?

To solve for a1 and a2 in a vector equation, you will need to use the properties of vector operations such as addition, subtraction, and scalar multiplication. You can also use the dot product and cross product to solve for the components of the vector equation.

3. What is the significance of using unit vector notation?

Unit vector notation is significant because it allows us to easily represent and manipulate vectors in a concise and standardized way. It also helps us to understand the direction and magnitude of a vector without having to do complex calculations.

4. Can unit vector notation be used in any coordinate system?

Yes, unit vector notation can be used in any coordinate system. The components of the unit vector may change, but the notation remains the same. For example, in a Cartesian coordinate system, the unit vector in the x-direction would be (1,0,0), while in a polar coordinate system, it would be (cos θ, sin θ, 0).

5. How is unit vector notation used in physics and engineering?

Unit vector notation is commonly used in physics and engineering to represent forces, velocities, and other physical quantities. It allows for easy calculations and analysis of vectors in these fields. Unit vector notation is also used in computer graphics and animation to represent the direction and orientation of objects in a 3D space.