Unit sum composed of unit fractions

In summary, there are infinitely many representations of a non-unit fraction in terms of distinct unit fractions, including those with odd denominators, that sum up to 1. This disproves the idea that there is only one such representation.
poissonspot
Is it necessary for a unit sum composed of unit fractions to include 1/2? Doing maple runs this seems to be the case, but it is not evident to me how this could be

Edit: In fact it seems it could not be, given the Erdos Graham problem Erd?s?Graham problem - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But considering an arbitrary fraction and one minus it, it seems the unit fraction representation of one of these two's parts is bound to include 1/2.

I feel a bit mixed up here.

EditEdit:1/3+1/4+1/5+1/6+1/20 does it. I think I thought that distinct unit fraction representations were unique. But this is not the case clearly.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Is it necessary for a unit sum composed of unit fractions to include 1/2?

No. 1/3 + 1/3 + 1/3 = 1.

EDIT : Nontrivial 1/3 + 1/4 + 1/5 + 1/6 + 1/20 = 1.

mathbalarka said:
No. 1/3 + 1/3 + 1/3 = 1.

I'm afraid I'm being awfully careless in the statement. thank you,

I also gave a non-trivial example there, you might want to look at that.

mathbalarka said:
I also gave a non-trivial example there, you might want to look at that.

Thanks. I figured that out and edited the first post just before you posted.

I did not think that there are infinitely many representations of a non unit fraction in terms of distinct unit fractions and so thought that given one I had the only one that would do so.

conscipost said:
Given one I had the only one that would do so.

$$\frac{1}{3} + \frac{1}{5} + \frac{1}{7} + \frac{1}{9} + \frac{1}{11} + \frac{1}{15} + \frac{1}{33} + \frac{1}{45} + \frac{1}{385} = 1$$

There exists trivially infinitely many unit fractions with not just without 2 but with odd denominator which sum up to unity.

Related to Unit sum composed of unit fractions

1. What is a unit sum composed of unit fractions?

A unit sum composed of unit fractions is a fraction where the numerator is 1 and the denominator is a positive integer. The unit fractions are then added together to form the final fraction.

2. How do you solve a unit sum composed of unit fractions?

To solve a unit sum composed of unit fractions, you need to first find the common denominator of all the fractions. Then, multiply each fraction by the corresponding factor to make the denominators equal. Finally, add the numerators and keep the common denominator to get the final fraction.

3. What is an example of a unit sum composed of unit fractions?

An example of a unit sum composed of unit fractions is 1/2 + 1/3 + 1/6 = 1. In this case, the common denominator is 6, so we multiply 1/2 by 3/3, 1/3 by 2/2, and 1/6 by 1/1 to get 3/6 + 2/6 + 1/6 = 6/6 = 1.

4. Why is a unit sum composed of unit fractions useful?

A unit sum composed of unit fractions is useful because it allows us to break down a complex fraction into smaller, more manageable fractions. It also helps us understand the concept of fractions and their relationships with each other.

5. Can a unit sum composed of unit fractions be simplified?

Yes, a unit sum composed of unit fractions can be simplified. After finding the common denominator and adding the numerators, we can check if the resulting fraction can be reduced further. If the numerator and denominator have a common factor, we can divide both by that factor to simplify the fraction.