Unit Conversion: What went wrong?

In summary, the conversation discusses measuring pressures up to 3000 atm with a dead-weight gauge and determining the approximate mass in lbm of the weights required. The solution involves calculating the absolute pressure and using the formula P*A = mg to find the mass. The calculated answer is 1.01 x 10^3 lb, but there is a discrepancy with the actual answer of 1000.7 lbm. The conversation ends with a discussion about the role of acceleration of gravity in the calculation.
xiangru119

Homework Statement

Pressures up to 3000 atm are measured with a dead-weight gauge. The piston diameter is 0.17 (in). What is the approximate mass in (lbm) of the weights required?

The Attempt at a Solution

Abs. pressure = Gauge pressure + Atmospheric pressure
= 3000 atm + 1 atm
= 3001 atm * 14.696 psi/atm
= 44102.696 psi
A = pi*D2/4
= 0.023 in2
P = F/A
P*A = mg
44102.696*0.023 = m * 32.174 ft/s2 (12 in./1 ft)
m= 2.627 lbm

4. The actual answer: 1000.7 lbm. So can anyone point out my error?
Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
A mass of 1 lbm weighs 1 lbf in standard gravitational field.

[tex]
4.41 \times 10^{4} \, \frac{\mathrm{lb}}{\mathrm{in}^{2}} \times (2.3 \times 10^{-2} \, \mathrm{in}^{2}) = 1.01 \times 10^{3} \, \mathrm{lb}
[/tex]

Dickfore said:

[tex]
4.41 \times 10^{4} \, \frac{\mathrm{lb}}{\mathrm{in}^{2}} \times (2.3 \times 10^{-2} \, \mathrm{in}^{2}) = 1.01 \times 10^{3} \, \mathrm{lb}
[/tex]

Hi, the answer obtained from this should be equivalent to pound force. How about the accelerate force of gravity? Thanks for your comment.

xiangru119 said:
Hi, the answer obtained from this should be equivalent to pound force. How about the accelerate force of gravity? Thanks for your comment.

I don't know what you are talking about. I was not supposed to solve even this much I think. Please use proper English to communicate your ideas.

I apologise for my broken English. I mean the answer obtained (1.01x10^3 lb) might be lbf instead of lbm. I think acceleration of gravity needed to be taken into account in order to get lbm.

But, it is taken into account. Did you read this:
Dickfore said:

Ok, I will think about it. Thanks

Related to Unit Conversion: What went wrong?

1. Why is unit conversion important in scientific research?

Unit conversion is crucial in scientific research because it allows for consistency and accuracy in measurements and data analysis. Different units of measurement can be used for the same quantity, and converting them to a common unit ensures that data can be easily compared and combined.

2. What are some common errors that can occur during unit conversion?

Some common errors that can occur during unit conversion include using the wrong conversion factor, forgetting to convert units of measurement when performing calculations, and rounding errors. It is important to double-check all conversions and calculations to avoid these errors.

3. How can we prevent errors in unit conversion?

To prevent errors in unit conversion, it is important to use reliable conversion factors from reputable sources. It is also helpful to use conversion charts or calculators to double-check conversions. Additionally, it is crucial to pay attention to units throughout calculations and conversions.

4. What should I do if I discover a mistake in my unit conversions?

If a mistake is discovered in unit conversions, it is important to correct it immediately. This may involve redoing calculations, checking conversion factors, or seeking assistance from colleagues or experts. It is crucial to address any errors to ensure the accuracy and reliability of scientific research.

5. How can we ensure consistency in unit conversions?

To ensure consistency in unit conversions, it is important to use the International System of Units (SI) as the standard. This system provides a universal set of units and conversion factors that are accepted globally. Additionally, it is important to follow established guidelines and protocols for unit conversions in specific fields of research.