Uniqueness of Inverse Operators Theorem and Proof

In summary, the conversation discusses the uniqueness of operators A_l^{-1} and A_r^{-1} and how they are equal to each other. The proof for this is shown through equations (1) and (2). Additionally, it is mentioned that this proof applies to any pair of operators and that having two different inverses would result in them being equal.
Grand

Homework Statement

Theorem
If, for given [tex]A[/tex], both operators [tex]A_l^{-1}[/tex] and [tex]A_r^{-1}[/tex] exist, they are unique and
[tex]A_l^{-1}=A_r^{-1}[/tex]

The proof is rather straightforward, at least the first part of it:
[tex]A_l^{-1}A=I/\leftarrow A_r^{-1}[/tex]
[tex]A_l^{-1}AA_r^{-1}=A_r^{-1} (1)[/tex]

[tex]A_l^{-1}A=I/\rightarrow A_l^{-1}[/tex]
[tex]A_l^{-1}AA_r^{-1}=A_l^{-1} (2)[/tex]

Therefore
[tex]A_l^{-1}=A_r^{-1}[/tex]

However, then they say that this proof holds for any pair of operators [tex]A_l^{-1}[/tex] and [tex]A_r^{-1}[/tex] (which I can't deny) and that eqs (1) and (2) ensure there exists only one such pair, which I can't understand. I would be very grateful if someone explains to me why is that.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you've proved A_l^(-1)=A_r^(-1) then there's not really a pair. They are both the same operator, just call it A^(-1). Now suppose A had two different inverses, can you prove they are equal? It's really the same proof you just gave.

Related to Uniqueness of Inverse Operators Theorem and Proof

1. What is the concept of the inverse of an operator?

The inverse of an operator is a mathematical operation that undoes the effects of the original operator. It is similar to the concept of the inverse of a number, where multiplying a number by its inverse results in the identity element (e.g. 2 x 1/2 = 1). In the case of an operator, the inverse operation "undoes" the original operation, resulting in the identity operator (e.g. differentiation and integration are inverse operations).

2. How is the inverse of an operator denoted?

The inverse of an operator is typically denoted by a superscript -1 (e.g. A-1), similar to how the inverse of a number is denoted (e.g. 2-1).

3. What are some properties of the inverse of an operator?

Some key properties of the inverse of an operator include:

• The inverse of an operator undoes the effects of the original operator.
  • The inverse of an operator is unique.
  • The inverse of an operator is only defined for certain operators (e.g. non-singular matrices have inverses, while singular matrices do not).
  • The inverse of an operator is not commutative (e.g. A-1 x A ≠ A x A-1).

4. How is the inverse of an operator calculated?

The method for calculating the inverse of an operator varies depending on the type of operator. For example, the inverse of a linear transformation can be found using the inverse matrix method, while the inverse of a function can be found using algebraic manipulation. In general, the inverse can be calculated by finding the operation that "undoes" the effects of the original operator.

5. What are some real-world applications of the inverse of an operator?

The concept of the inverse of an operator has many practical applications in various fields, including:

• In engineering, the inverse of a transfer function is used to design control systems.
  • In physics, the inverse of a Laplace transform is used to convert a signal from the frequency domain to the time domain.
  • In finance, the inverse of a matrix is used to calculate the weights of a portfolio.
  • In computer graphics, the inverse of a transformation matrix is used to transform objects in 3D space.