Unipolar stepper motor control

In summary, the conversation revolves around controlling a 12V unipolar stepper motor using a microcontroller. The speaker is looking for a way to drive the motor and has found chips that can switch and protect against back EMF, but not convert voltage. They mention the L6220 chip, but are unsure how it handles up to 50V output. Another person suggests using 4 mosfets with built-in diodes and an external power supply for a potentially cheaper solution.
frogdogbb
Hey all I am trying to sort through data for controlling a unipolar stepper motor with a microcontroller. I have done this before but the hardware was already in place on a development board. What I need is a way to drive a 12V Unipolar stepper with a microcontroller. I have found a number of chips that may do what I need as far as switching and back EMF protection but not voltage conversion. I looked at a L6220 it says it can handle up to 50V on the output but the data sheet makes no mention of how this is accomplished. Maybe there is an easier way or maybe I am missing a part of the puzzle. Anyone have stepper motor experience?
Thanks
Ben

Engineering news on Phys.org
look like it does no voltage conversion, you need an external source, the center tap on the diodes stops emf. i'd use 4 mosfet here with built in diodes straight to the microcontroller and an add on power suppy, probably would be cheaper too.

Hi Ben,

Controlling a unipolar stepper motor with a microcontroller can definitely be a bit tricky, but it sounds like you have a good start by researching chips that can handle switching and back EMF protection. In terms of voltage conversion, you may want to consider using a step-down voltage regulator to bring the 12V down to a more manageable level for the microcontroller. Another option could be using a transistor or MOSFET to switch the higher voltage on and off for the motor.

As for the L6220 chip, it's possible that it uses a built-in voltage regulator to handle the higher output voltage. However, without more information from the datasheet, it's difficult to say for sure. I would recommend reaching out to the manufacturer or consulting with other engineers who have experience with this chip to get a better understanding of how it handles the output voltage.

In terms of other options, you may also want to look into using a dedicated stepper motor driver chip, such as the DRV8825 or the A4988. These chips are designed specifically for controlling stepper motors and may have built-in voltage conversion capabilities.

I hope this helps and best of luck with your project!

Related to Unipolar stepper motor control

1. What is a unipolar stepper motor?

A unipolar stepper motor is a type of electric motor that uses a magnetic field to rotate its rotor. It has four coils, each with a center tap, that are controlled by a series of pulses to move the motor in a precise and incremental manner.

2. How is a unipolar stepper motor controlled?

A unipolar stepper motor is controlled by sending a sequence of pulses to its four coils. The sequence determines the direction and speed of the motor's rotation. The pulses are typically generated by a microcontroller or driver circuit.

3. What are the advantages of using a unipolar stepper motor?

Unipolar stepper motors are known for their high torque and precise positioning. They also have lower power consumption and are relatively simple to control compared to other types of motors.

4. Can a unipolar stepper motor be used in both open-loop and closed-loop systems?

Yes, a unipolar stepper motor can be used in both open-loop and closed-loop systems. In open-loop systems, the motor is controlled by a predetermined sequence of pulses. In closed-loop systems, feedback is used to adjust the motor's movement and ensure accurate positioning.

5. What are some common applications for unipolar stepper motors?

Unipolar stepper motors are commonly used in applications that require precise and controlled movement, such as 3D printers, CNC machines, and robotics. They are also used in consumer electronics, such as cameras and disk drives, for their high torque and low power consumption.