Uniform Distribution over n and its limit

In summary, we are looking at the distribution of Yn/n, which is the random variable Yn divided by n. The distribution function of Yn/n is given by Gn(x) and can be calculated by plugging in nx for x in the distribution function of Yn. As n approaches infinity, the sequence Yn/n converges in distribution to a limit of 0.
JonoPUH

Homework Statement

Let Yn be uniform on {1, 2, . . . , n} (i.e. taking each value with probability 1/n). Draw the distribution function of Yn/n. Show that the sequence Yn/n converges in distribution as n → ∞. What is the limit?

Homework Equations

So Yn has c.d.f Yn(x) = |x|/n where |x| is the nearest integer less than x.

The Attempt at a Solution

Is it ok for me to just divide the c.d.f of Yn by n, and so plot |x|/n2?
This seems far too easy for 2nd year of university (I really do not trust myself with probability) and also it only gives a total for x > n of 1/n. Is this allowed?

If so, then Yn/n clearly tends to 0 as n → 0 since we have 1/n.

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
JonoPUH said:

Homework Statement

Let Yn be uniform on {1, 2, . . . , n} (i.e. taking each value with probability 1/n). Draw the distribution function of Yn/n. Show that the sequence Yn/n converges in distribution as n → ∞. What is the limit?

Homework Equations

So Yn has c.d.f Yn(x) = |x|/n where |x| is the nearest integer less than x.

The Attempt at a Solution

Is it ok for me to just divide the c.d.f of Yn by n, and so plot |x|/n2?
This seems far too easy for 2nd year of university (I really do not trust myself with probability) and also it only gives a total for x > n of 1/n. Is this allowed?

If so, then Yn/n clearly tends to 0 as n → 0 since we have 1/n.

Thanks

Your notation is horrible and will get you into trouble. Yn is a random variable, not a function of x. Its distribution function is [tex] F_n(x) = P(Y_n \leq x) = \left\{
\begin{array}{cl}\frac{\lfloor x \rfloor}{n},& \: 0 \leq x < n\\
1,&\: x \geq n
\end{array}\right. [/tex] as you said. The distribution of Y_n/n is
[tex] G_n(x) = P\left( \frac{Y_n}{n} \leq x \right) = P( Y_n \leq n x ) = F_n(nx)
= \left\{ \begin{array}{cl}
\frac{\lfloor nx \rfloor}{n}, &\: 0 \leq nx < n\\
1, & \: nx \geq n
\end{array} \right. [/tex]

Thank you for your clarification on notation and help!

Related to Uniform Distribution over n and its limit

1. What is a uniform distribution over n and its limit?

A uniform distribution over n is a probability distribution where all possible outcomes have an equal chance of occurring. Its limit is the maximum value that the distribution can take, which is equal to 1.

2. How is a uniform distribution over n different from other types of distributions?

A uniform distribution over n is different from other distributions because it has a constant probability of occurring for all possible outcomes, while other distributions have varying probabilities for different outcomes.

3. How is a uniform distribution over n used in scientific research?

A uniform distribution over n is commonly used in scientific research to model situations where all outcomes are equally likely, such as in random sampling or in the study of genetics.

4. Can a uniform distribution over n have a negative value?

No, a uniform distribution over n cannot have a negative value since it represents a probability and probabilities cannot be negative.

5. How is the limit of a uniform distribution over n calculated?

The limit of a uniform distribution over n is calculated by dividing 1 (the maximum value of the distribution) by the number of outcomes (n).