Uniform Circular motion problem

In summary, the problem involves finding the difference in velocity between a point at the top and bottom of a 235 m tall tower on the equator due to the rotation of the Earth. The solution involves using the equation v=w*r, converting the radius of the Earth and time in seconds, and finding the difference in velocity between the two points.
SgtSniper90
Uniform Circular motion problem!

Homework Statement

A 235 m tall tower is built on the equator. Due to the rotation of the earth, how much faster does a point at the top of the tower move than a point at the bottom (in m/s)?

Homework Equations

v=w*r (w is omega)

The Attempt at a Solution

So it didnt give me the radius of the Earth but the previous problem said it was 6400 km so i used that and converted 365 days to seconds and got 31536000. Next i tried to find the velocity of the Earth in m/s so 6400km= 6400000 m. 6400000m/31536000s. i get 0.2029426687. i do the same thing but at 235 to the radius and i get 0.2029426687. I next found the difference and get 7.45*10-6. Its not right i don't know what I am doing wrong...

Physics news on Phys.org

365 days for the Earth to rotate!??

oops I am retarded...

Related to Uniform Circular motion problem

1. What is Uniform Circular Motion?

Uniform Circular Motion is a type of motion where an object moves in a circular path at a constant speed. This means that the object has a constant velocity and is constantly changing direction, but its speed remains the same.

2. What are the key components of Uniform Circular Motion?

The key components of Uniform Circular Motion are centripetal force, tangential velocity, and centripetal acceleration. Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path, tangential velocity is the speed at which the object moves along the circular path, and centripetal acceleration is the acceleration towards the center of the circle.

3. How is Uniform Circular Motion different from other types of motion?

Uniform Circular Motion is different from other types of motion because the direction of the object's motion is constantly changing, even though its speed remains constant. This is due to the presence of a centripetal force that keeps the object moving in a circular path.

4. What is the formula for calculating centripetal force?

The formula for calculating centripetal force is F = (mv^2)/r, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, v is the tangential velocity, and r is the radius of the circle.

5. How does Uniform Circular Motion relate to real-world examples?

Uniform Circular Motion can be observed in many real-world examples, such as the motion of planets around the sun, the rotation of a Ferris wheel, or the motion of a car around a curved road. It is also commonly seen in sports, such as ice skating spins or a curveball in baseball.