Unexplained thread deletions and lockings

• Thread starter Mk
  • Start date
In summary, there have been several complaints about unexplained warnings and lockings of threads on physicsforums. This morning, one of Mk's threads was deleted without any warning. It's unclear why the thread was locked, and there is an option for moderators to leave a re-direct when threads are merged.
Mk
To the moderators and mentors of physicsforums:

Many of us do not appreciate the unexplained lockings and deletion of our threads. Several users have been made unhappy or left physicsforums because of this. This morning I found that one of my threads was deleted in the Earth forum with no explanation whatsoever. I've seen many times threads being locked without warnings or a last post from a moderator. There have been several complaints in the Feedback forum about unexplained warnings and lockings of threads. However small or large the problem this needs to stop.

-Mk

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see any record of a recent deleted thread in Earth, or any reported posts. Are you sure it's not there? Once in a while we clean up minor, off-topic banter in the main forums without commenting because it's not a warning level offense, just distracting, but if an entire thread were deleted, you should have been notified.

We seem to have periodically had a post just outright disappear, not through moderation, but some weird forum glitch.

The thread wasn't deleted, it was merged with another thread "Thread merged with 'Triassic extinction meteor crater in Antarctic' https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=122843

Unfortunately when threads are merged, the thread that was merged disappears without a trace.

If you did a check of your posts, you'd find where they had been moved, that's how I found out what happened, I checked the location of your posts.

Evo said:
Unfortunately when threads are merged, the thread that was merged disappears without a trace.

There is an option on vB 3.5.4 to leave a re-direct when threads are merged.

Last edited:
Mattara said:
There is an option on vB 3.5.4 to leave a re-direct when threads are merged.
It's not an option the mentors are given here. Whether it's available elsewhere, I don't know.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Unexplained thread deletions and lockings

1. What causes a thread to be deleted or locked without explanation?

There could be a variety of reasons for a thread to be deleted or locked without explanation. It could be due to a violation of the forum's community guidelines, such as offensive language or inappropriate content. It could also be a result of a moderator's decision to remove a thread that is deemed irrelevant or redundant. Additionally, technical issues or glitches could also cause a thread to be deleted or locked.

2. Can I get my thread reinstated if it was deleted or locked without explanation?

In most cases, if a thread was deleted or locked without explanation, it is unlikely that it will be reinstated. However, if you believe there was a mistake or misunderstanding, you can reach out to the forum's moderators or administrators and politely request for an explanation or a chance to appeal the decision.

3. Is there a way to prevent my thread from being deleted or locked without explanation?

The best way to prevent your thread from being deleted or locked without explanation is to make sure you are following the forum's guidelines and community standards. This includes avoiding offensive or inappropriate language, staying on topic, and refraining from posting duplicate or redundant content.

4. Are there any common reasons for thread deletions or lockings?

Some common reasons for thread deletions or lockings include violating the forum's community guidelines, posting duplicate or off-topic content, or engaging in disrespectful or inflammatory behavior. It is important to familiarize yourself with the forum's rules and guidelines to avoid having your thread deleted or locked.

5. How can I find out why my thread was deleted or locked?

If your thread was deleted or locked without explanation, you can try reaching out to the forum's moderators or administrators for an explanation. They may be able to provide you with a reason for the deletion or locking. However, if the decision was made due to a violation of the forum's guidelines, it is unlikely that the moderators will reinstate the thread.