Understanding Weak Interaction Field in Beta Decay

In summary, the conversation discusses the understanding of the weak interaction and its comparison to other interactions. The role of a field in this interaction, particularly in events such as beta decay, is questioned. The speaker also asks for a better explanation or description of the field properties of the weak interaction.
DocZaius
I've had trouble understanding how the weak interaction could be field based, like classical gravity, or electromagnetism. My limited understanding of the interaction so far had been that left handed leptons and quarks would have an event spontaneously happen to them (such as decay). I thought that such events would be based on simple random probability. Now of course the factors that contribute to what particle does what when are not so simple. But still I did not think that a field played a role in this interaction. Yet when I read comparisons of field strengths of the weak interaction with others, I infer that for there to be such a comparison, the weak interaction would have to be field based. Can someone elaborate on the role the weak field plays in events such as, for example, beta decay?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I suppose from the lack of reply that my question was ill-posed. If someone that has a vague understanding of my question would have a better way of phrasing it, I would appreciate it. Or at least if someone would describe the field properties of the weak interaction in any way, I would appreciate it as well. Thank you!

Hi DocZaius! :smile:

I'm not clear on it myself, but I think the weak-field basis for eg beta decay is the same as the electromagnetic-field basis for an excited electron "decaying" to a more stable orbit …

in both cases, you'd think the original resonance could keep going for ever, you don't know when it will wobble off, but you do know it's governed by a field equations when it does.

that's my two-cents-worth … :redface:

Related to Understanding Weak Interaction Field in Beta Decay

1. What is the weak interaction field in beta decay?

The weak interaction field is a fundamental force in nature that is responsible for the decay of subatomic particles such as protons and neutrons. It is one of the four known fundamental forces, along with gravity, electromagnetism, and strong nuclear force.

2. How does the weak interaction field affect beta decay?

The weak interaction field is involved in the process of beta decay, which occurs when an unstable nucleus emits an electron or positron. It is responsible for the transformation of a neutron into a proton or vice versa, resulting in the release of energy in the form of a beta particle.

3. What is the role of the weak interaction field in the Standard Model of particle physics?

In the Standard Model, the weak interaction field is described by the theory of electroweak interactions, which combines the weak interaction with electromagnetism. This theory explains how the weak interaction field interacts with other fundamental particles, such as quarks and leptons.

4. How is the strength of the weak interaction field determined?

The strength of the weak interaction field is determined by the coupling constant, which is a measure of the strength of the interaction between particles. The value of the coupling constant is very small compared to the other fundamental forces, making the weak interaction relatively weak in comparison.

5. Can the weak interaction field be observed in experiments?

Yes, the weak interaction field can be observed and studied in experiments such as beta decay, neutrino interactions, and particle collisions. These experiments provide valuable insights into the nature of the weak interaction and its role in the universe.