Understanding Trigonometry and Physics in Balloon Flight

• Thread starter physicsgal
  • Start date
In summary, the balloon rises upward, at a rate of 0.7 m/s, to a height of 20 m before it pops. A breeze of 1.5 m/s due east blows against the balloon.
physicsgal
i basically know what to do.. but i have problems drawing the triangle and knowing what sides are which.

"a balloon rises upward, at a rate for 0.7 m/s, to a height of 20m before it pops. a breeze of 1.5m/s due east blows against the balloon."

so the hypotenuse (sp?) is the unknown side?
and how does one know which angle is the opposite angle?

~Amy

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hypotenuse would be the unknown side, yes. But all you need is Pytagoras' theorem. you don't need to know angles.

thanks quasar

so the hypotenuse side is 20.056m.

the question goes on to say "what is the velocity of the balloon relative to the ground?"

so i need to know which one of the opposite and adjacent sides.

~Amy

Nah, again, you just need to identify the components of the velocity vectors [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] and compute its norm, which is again, applying pythagoras' theorem to find the hypotenuse of the triangle whose other 2 sides are the components of the vector.

two other questions for this are:

"how long does the balloon rise before popping?"

and "how far from its starting point has the balloon flown (its final displacement)?

i probably need to know what's the opposite/adjacent side.

~Amy

(the hypotenuse side is not 20.056m)

The baloon has a vertical speed of 0.7 m/s and a horizontal speed of 1.5 m/s. So do you agree that its motion will be diagonal? At the end, it will have moved vertically 20 m and some distance 'X' horizontally. The total diagonal displacement D will be given by Pythagoras' theorem: D=[itex]\sqrt{20^2+X^2}[/itex]. It's your job, using the equation of kinematic, to find what X is.

The first step towards this is to find what time it takes the baloon to reach its height of 20 m at 0.7 m/s. The knowledge of this time will then allow you to find what horizontal distance X the baloon traveled btw the time when the baloon was on the ground and the time when it had reached its height of 20 m.

Last edited:
1) since the two components of velocity are already given
I would just repeat them . . . v = (1.5, 0, 0.7)m/s as (E,N,up).
Once you know the components, I wouldn't use Pythagoras to hide them!

1b) If you are asked specifically for magnitude and direction angle,
. then YOU get to decide which side is opposite and which is adjascent
Draw the vector components as arrows tail-to-tip,
and draw the diagonal from first tail to last tip. The triangle has
one skinny angle and one wide angle. If you mark an angle with an arc,
the arc will touch one of the sides as well as the diagonal.
THAT side is adjascent to THAT angle.
A side is OPPOSITE the angle whose arc does NOT touch it.

2) once you find the time to rise 20 m at 0.7 m/s , use that time
to find the horizontal distance . . . you might notice that the triangle has
a straight line, and you COULD use a proportion . . . avoid the temptation ! the procedure of connecting two dimensions via time is widely applicable.

thanks for the tips!

here's what i have:
a) 1.66 m/s (N 25 degrees E)

b) H = 20m/sin 25 degrees
= 47.32 m

47.32 m/1.66 m/s = 28.5s

c) (28.5s)(1.66m/s)
= 47.3 m.

i hope everythings accurate..

also, in my text i was just reading that the unknown angle is the one beside the starting point.

~Amy

Technically, the answer to a) is 25 degrees from the horizontal. You gave a bearing, which lies in a different plane.

Technically, the answer to a) is 25 degrees from the horizontal. You gave a bearing, which lies in a different plane.

im not sure what you mean :blushing:

but everything else looks ok?

~Amy

physicsgal said:
im not sure what you mean :blushing:

but everything else looks ok?

~Amy
North isn't in the vertical plane, in this case it could be in the z plane. Imagine drawing 3D axes. The y-axis represents up and down and the x-axis represents the horizontal. The z axis could represent north. Your balloon is rising upwards not going north.

Does that make sense?

North isn't in the vertical plane, in this case it could be in the z plane. Imagine drawing 3D axes. The y-axis represents up and down and the x-axis represents the horizontal. The z axis could represent north. Your balloon is rising upwards not going north.

thanks. i see what you're saying. going up/down doesn't mean north/south. but in my lesson back it kind of suggest up is north, and down is south. i dunno. i guess they are just doing that for simplicity.

~Amy

Related to Understanding Trigonometry and Physics in Balloon Flight

What is trigonometry and why is it important?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of triangles and their relationships. It is used to solve problems involving angles and distances, and is an essential tool in fields such as engineering, physics, and navigation.

Why do I need to learn physics if I'm not planning to become a scientist?

Physics is the study of the natural world and how it works, and it can be applied to many aspects of our daily lives. Understanding basic physics concepts can help you make informed decisions, solve problems, and better appreciate the world around you.

What are some practical applications of trigonometry and physics?

Trigonometry is used in fields such as architecture, astronomy, and surveying to calculate distances and angles. Physics is applied in many areas, including technology, medicine, and transportation, to understand and improve the world we live in.

How can I improve my understanding of trigonometry and physics?

Practice is key to improving your understanding of trigonometry and physics. Make use of online resources, textbooks, and practice problems to solidify your knowledge. Seeking help from a tutor or teacher can also be beneficial.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving trigonometry and physics problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid include not paying attention to units, forgetting to convert angles from degrees to radians, and not properly labeling diagrams. It's also important to double-check your work and make sure you understand the concepts behind the problem.