Understanding Trigonometric Identities: Solving for -1

In summary, when working with trig identity problems, there may be multiple valid methods of simplification. It is not necessary to use the exact method shown in the textbook as long as the simplification is correct. In this case, changing "sin^4(x)" to "sin(x)" would also result in a correct simplification.
Marcus27

Homework Statement

Show that (sin^4 x + (sin^2 x * cos^2 x)) / (cos^2 x - 1) == -1

Homework Equations

Sin^2 x + cos^2 x == 1

The Attempt at a Solution

(sin ^4 x + (sin^2 x * cos^2 x)) / (cos^2 x - 1)
= ((sin^2 x)(sin^2 x) + (sin^2 x * cos^2 x)) / (cos^2 x - 1)
=((sin^2 x)(1 - cos^2 x) + (sin^2x * cos^2 x)) / (cos^2 x -1 )
= (sin^2 x - (sin^2 x * cos^2 x) + (sin^2 x * cos^2 x)) / (cos^2 x - 1 )
= (sin^2 x) / (cos^2 x - 1 )
= (1 - cos^2 x ) / (cos^2 x -1)
= -1

I think this is correct, but when I looked up the answer in the back of the textbook it showed completely different working using different substitutions. Did I make any mistakes? or are there two or more solutions to this problem?, if this is the case would I be marked down in an exam for using this method?. [/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
In working trig identity problems, there may be more than one valid substitution which can be used to obtain a simplification, especially with complicated or lengthy expressions.

If this were an exam exercise, no, you should not be penalized for using a valid method of simplification, even if it differs from a method preferred by the instructor.

SteamKing said:
In working trig identity problems, there may be more than one valid substitution which can be used to obtain a simplification, especially with complicated or lengthy expressions.

If this were an exam exercise, no, you should not be penalized for using a valid method of simplification, even if it differs from a method preferred by the instructor.

Thanks, that puts my mind at ease.

I, for example, would, seeing that "[itex]sin^4(x)[/itex]" change everything else to "sin(x)".
Since [itex]cos^2(x)= 1- sin^2(x)[/itex], the numerator is [itex]sin^4(x)+ sin^2(x)(1- sin^2(x))= sin^4()+ sin^2(x)- sin^4(x)= sin^2(x)[/itex]. Is that what your textbook does?

Attachments

• upload_2015-2-22_15-20-51.png
    upload_2015-2-22_15-20-51.png
    54.8 KB · Views: 500

Related to Understanding Trigonometric Identities: Solving for -1

What are trigonometric identities?

Trigonometric identities are equations involving trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, and tangent, that are true for all values of the variables involved.

Why are trigonometric identities important?

Trigonometric identities are important because they allow us to simplify and solve complicated trigonometric equations, and also help us to understand the relationships between different trigonometric functions.

What are the different types of trigonometric identities?

There are three main types of trigonometric identities: reciprocal identities, quotient identities, and Pythagorean identities. Reciprocal identities involve the reciprocal functions, such as cosecant and secant. Quotient identities involve dividing one trigonometric function by another. Pythagorean identities involve the Pythagorean theorem and the relationships between the sides of a right triangle.

How do I prove a trigonometric identity?

To prove a trigonometric identity, you must use algebraic manipulations and substitution to show that the left side of the equation is equal to the right side. This often involves using known identities and manipulating the equations until they are equivalent.

What are some common tips for solving trigonometric identities?

Some common tips for solving trigonometric identities include using known identities, simplifying complex expressions using algebra, and looking for patterns and relationships between different trigonometric functions. It is also helpful to remember the basic trigonometric identities, such as sin^2x + cos^2x = 1, and to practice regularly to improve your skills.