Understanding Time Dilation: Proper Time vs. Time

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of time dilation and how it relates to proper time and just time in different frames of reference. The example given involves two observers, one in frame S and one in frame S', measuring the time interval between two events. The conversation also addresses the misconception that clocks in frame S' always run slower than those in frame S, and explains the relationship between distance and time in both frames.
zachfoltz
I'm having a hard time figuring out in problems which is proper time and which is just time, and I think it follows from my misunderstanding of time dilation. I've read my book and looked over my notes but I can't seem to figure it out.

Here's an example: A person in frame S' moves with a speed of .95c along the positive x-axis relative to a person in frame S. If the time interval between two events is 20 s according to a clock in S' what would the person in frame S measure for this time interval?

So what I'm thinking is (because I already know the answer) tp=20s [itex]\gamma[/itex]=3.2 and therefore frame S measures 64s.

This is easy but what if the question was backwards and frame S measured the time between events to be 64s and it wanted to know what would the person in frame S' measure. tp would be 64 and [itex]\gamma[/itex] would be 3.2 right? This means frame S measures 204s which HAS to be wrong because we already know it was 20s.

What am I doing wrong? Please and Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
zachfoltz said:
I'm having a hard time figuring out in problems which is proper time and which is just time, and I think it follows from my misunderstanding of time dilation. I've read my book and looked over my notes but I can't seem to figure it out.
Leave "proper time" alone for a moment - it's equal to the undilated time for some observers under some circumstances, but it's not what you're asking about here.

Here's an example: A person in frame S' moves with a speed of .95c along the positive x-axis relative to a person in frame S. If the time interval between two events is 20 s according to a clock in S' what would the person in frame S measure for this time interval?

So what I'm thinking is (because I already know the answer) tp=20s [itex]\gamma[/itex]=3.2 and therefore frame S measures 64s.

This is easy but what if the question was backwards and frame S measured the time between events to be 64s and it wanted to know what would the person in frame S' measure. tp would be 64 and [itex]\gamma[/itex] would be 3.2 right? This means frame S measures 204s which HAS to be wrong because we already know it was 20s.

Actually, both results are right. Both observers correctly view themselves as at rest, with the other one moving and having a slowed clock. This seems paradoxical to you because you've overlooked the relativity of simultaneity. The two events "S' clock reads 20" and "S clock reads 64" are simultaneous in frame S, so S correctly concludes that the S' clock is slow by a factor of 3.2. However, these two events are not simultaneous in the S' frame; in that frame the events "S' clock reads 20" and "S clock reads 6.25" are simultaneous so the S' observer will correctly conclude that the S clock is the one that running slow by a factor of 3.2.

(The above is assuming that both clocks were set to zero as the two observers were passing each at the same point in space. Change this assumption and the math gets more complicated without adding anything new).

zachfoltz said:

What am I doing wrong? Please and Thank you!

The relationship between frame S and frame S' is not as simple as: "Clocks in frame S' run slow." If you have two events, [itex]e_1[/itex] and [itex]e_2[/itex], and let

[itex]\delta x [/itex] = distance between the events in frame S.
[itex]\delta x'[/itex] = distance between the events in frame S'.
[itex]\delta t[/itex] = time between the events in frame S.
[itex]\delta t'[/itex] = time between the events in frame S'.

Then the relationship between these quantities (for one-dimensional motion in the x-direction) is:

[itex]\delta x' = \gamma (\delta x - v \delta t)[/itex]
[itex]\delta t' = \gamma (\delta t - \frac{v}{c^2} \delta x)[/itex]

with the inverse equations:

[itex]\delta x = \gamma (\delta x' + v \delta t')[/itex]
[itex]\delta t = \gamma (\delta t' + \frac{v}{c^2} \delta x')[/itex]

So in the particular case where
[itex]\delta x = 0[/itex], (so the events are at the same location in frame S), we have:

[itex]\delta x' = - \gamma v \delta t[/itex]
[itex]\delta t' = \gamma \delta t[/itex]

So the time between the events is longer in frame S' than in frame S. On the other hand, if [itex]\delta x' = 0[/itex], (so the events are at the same location in frame S'), we have:

[itex]\delta x = \gamma v \delta t'[/itex]
[itex]\delta t = \gamma \delta t'[/itex]

So the time between the events is longer in frame S than in frame S'. You can't compute [itex]\delta t'[/itex] in terms of [itex]\delta t[/itex] or vice-verse without knowing something about [itex]\delta x[/itex] or [itex]\delta x'[/itex].

zachfoltz said:
The key is "a clock", meaning that the time interval is measured on a single moving clock in S'.

OK. Note that the two events (that you are measuring the interval between) occur at different locations in S. Thus S must use multiple synchronized clocks to measure that interval.

The time dilation "rule of thumb" is that moving clocks run slow. The time dilation formula doesn't apply to time intervals in general, but to intervals measured on a single clock. (You, of course, can apply the full Lorentz transformation for any intervals.)

According to S', the clocks in S are not synchronized and they do not each show an elapsed time of 64s. (In fact, according to S', those clocks only show an elapsed time of about 6.25 seconds during the interval in question.)

Edit: Nugatory beat me to it!

Nugatory said:
However, these two events are not simultaneous in the S' frame; in that frame the events "S' clock reads 20" and "S clock reads 6.25" are simultaneous so the S' observer will correctly conclude that the S clock is the one that running slow by a factor of 3.2.

How do you know S clock reads 6.25?

zachfoltz said:
How do you know S clock reads 6.25?

I used the same 3.2 gamma factor that you calculated :smile:
And I could do that because I already knew that the situation would be symmetrical: In the S' frame the S clock is dilated by the gamma factor calculated from the relative speed; in the S frame the S' clock is dilated by the gamma factor calculated from the same relative speed.

However, you can double-check these results by using the Lorentz transforms from which the time dilations are derived. I've done this calculation often enough to know that it will come out right, but the first few hundred times that I had to solve one of these problems I did it the hard way, using the Lorentz transforms to verify that the symmetry really was there and relativity of simultaneity would lead to consistent results.

Related to Understanding Time Dilation: Proper Time vs. Time

What is time dilation?

Time dilation is a phenomenon in which time appears to pass at different rates for objects moving at different speeds relative to each other. This is a key concept in Einstein's theory of relativity.

What is proper time?

Proper time is the time measured by an observer who is at rest relative to the events being measured. It is often referred to as "clock time" and is the time that is experienced by an object or person directly.

What is time in terms of relativity?

In the theory of relativity, time is considered to be relative and not absolute. This means that the measurement of time can vary depending on the observer's frame of reference and the speed at which they are moving.

How does time dilation affect space travel?

Time dilation plays a crucial role in space travel, as it is necessary to account for the difference in time experienced by astronauts traveling at high speeds. This is especially important for long-distance space travel, as even small differences in time can have significant effects on the accuracy of navigation and communication.

What is the difference between proper time and time in terms of relativity?

The main difference between proper time and time in terms of relativity is that proper time is the time experienced by an object or person directly, while time in relativity is relative and can vary depending on the observer's frame of reference and speed. Proper time is also often called "clock time" and is measured in seconds, while time in relativity is measured in units of time dilation.