Understanding this Equation of motion with a constant

In summary: Ae^{-\gamma t}\cos{\omega t}x = exp(-b t)cos(a t)In summary, the equation of motion for a weight on a spring is x = b log (at) where x is the displacement, t is time, and a,b are constants. If there is no damping, the displacement will oscillate up and down forever. If there is damping, the displacement will oscillate with decreasing amplitude and the equation of motion will be x = exp(-b t) sin(a t) where A is the damping coefficient.
Jamie2020
Homework Statement
equation of motion
Relevant Equations
x = b log (at)

x = a t exp(-b t)

x = exp(-b t) sin(a t)

x = a sin(t)/b
Completely new to this and wondered if someone can explain what the correct equation of motion is if x is extension, t is time and a,b are constants

x = b log (at)
x = a t exp(-b t)
x = exp(-b t) sin(a t)
x = a sin(t)/b

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Jamie!
:welcome:

What is the motion? Do you have a diagram or something that you might be able to upload?

Likes Jamie2020
Hi, sorry i forgot to include the main text:

Some weight is added to a spring. The spring is then extended and released. The extension of the spring oscillates with decreasing amplitude.

Hope this helps?

If you were to try sketching a graph of displacement (##x##) against time for this damped oscillator, what might it look like? How might you go about writing an equation for it?

Jamie2020 said:
Hi, sorry i forgot to include the main text:

Some weight is added to a spring. The spring is then extended and released. The extension of the spring oscillates with decreasing amplitude.

Hope this helps?
The spring "oscillates". Does that eliminate any of the given options?

I think the answer is x = a sin(t)/b

Jamie2020 said:
I think the answer is x = a sin(t)/b

What did your graph look like?

graph.png

The red line is what was already on the sheet and the blue line is what i believe the graph would look like?
Thanks

Jamie2020 said:
View attachment 261777

The red line is what was already on the sheet and the blue line is what i believe the graph would look like?
Thanks

Hmm, not quite. Let's forget about the business with the reducing amplitude for now. Just focus on the oscillatory motion with no damping.

If you have a vertical spring with the mass attached to the bottom, and you give the mass a little push downward, it starts to vibrate up and down, right? Say you recorded how high it was every 0.001 seconds (you're very patient... and fast!). You then plot the height of the mass against time on your graph. What would a graph of it's height against time look like (take ##h=0## to be where you release the spring from, just for simplicity).

Hmm may have confused myself but would it look like

graph.png

Jamie2020 said:
Hmm may have confused myself but would it look like

Not really. If there's no damping then the thing's just going to keep oscillating up and down forever. Up and down... rinse and repeat... try getting a large rubber band and hanging a mass on that, and giving it an initial push. What motion results?

Likes Jamie2020
How about, something like

graph.png

Close enough. Which of the given choices most likely would look like this when plotted?

Likes Jamie2020
That's more like it! Sort of.

For undamped SHM, you'll get a perfect sine/cosine:
1588193931343.png

Note that the ##x## axis is still the centre of the oscillation, there's no migration of the centre of oscillation downward as you have drawn.

You've sort of jumped the gun and have started reducing the amplitude. If you do damp the motion you end up with a graph like this:

1588194030420.png

which is similar to what you drew. Now, you're in a position to answer the question. What two functions does this second graph remind you of?

Likes Jamie2020
I'm now going for

x = exp(-b t) sin(a t)

??

Yeah, that's the one.

The ##e^{-bt}## bit is called an envelope function. In this case, it's always less than 1 for ##t> 0##. You can imagine first drawing the sine wave, and then going along to every point and scaling the displacement by a factor of ##e^{-bt}##. This factor gets smaller as time progresses, and the amplitude of oscillation just gets smaller and smaller. Makes sense intuitively, right?

Likes Jamie2020
Yes I get some understanding on this now. Thanks for your help. Side question, I don't suppose you know what each letter in the answer above represents on a graph so I know for next time and can visualise what is going on?

Thanks again

I'd recommend going to https://www.desmos.com/calculator and punching this exact text into the box:

y=Ae^{-bx}\sin\left(ax\right)

Click the blue "all" button and you'll get a bunch of sliders. Try varying them and see what happens! I'd recommend making little ##a## about 5, little ##b## about 0.4 and big ##A## about 4 as a start.

As for a more mathematical answer, in physics at least the equation for damped SHM is usually written in the form ##x = Ae^{-\gamma t}\cos{\omega t}##. ##\gamma## is called the damping coefficient (bigger value means more damping!) and ##\omega## is the angular frequency, ##\omega = \frac{2\pi}{T}##.

You can derive all of these equations from scratch if you setup a differential equation, which might be a good exercise to try sometime! If you don't have external forcing, it's a homogenous second order ODE.

Jamie2020 said:
Yes I get some understanding on this now. Thanks for your help. Side question, I don't suppose you know what each letter in the answer above represents on a graph so I know for next time and can visualise what is going on?

Thanks again
The first choice represents nothing physical; what happens at t = 0?
The second choice is a special case of a critically damped harmonic oscillator.
The third choice represents an underdamped harmonic oscillator.
The fourth choice represents harmonic motion without damping.

Last edited:
Likes berkeman and etotheipi

Related to Understanding this Equation of motion with a constant

1. What is an equation of motion with a constant?

An equation of motion with a constant is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between an object's position, velocity, and time when the acceleration is constant. It is commonly used in physics to understand the motion of objects in a straight line.

2. What is the formula for an equation of motion with a constant?

The formula for an equation of motion with a constant is: x = x0 + v0t + 1/2at2, where x is the final position, x0 is the initial position, v0 is the initial velocity, a is the constant acceleration, and t is the time interval.

3. How is an equation of motion with a constant used in real life?

An equation of motion with a constant is used in real life to predict the position, velocity, and time of an object's motion. It is commonly used in engineering, such as designing roller coasters or calculating the trajectory of a rocket. It is also used in sports, such as calculating the distance a ball will travel when thrown or kicked.

4. What is the significance of a constant acceleration in an equation of motion?

A constant acceleration means that the object is moving with a steady change in velocity over time. This allows for the use of a simplified equation of motion, making it easier to calculate and predict the object's motion. It also helps in understanding the relationship between an object's position, velocity, and acceleration.

5. Can an equation of motion with a constant be used for non-constant acceleration?

No, an equation of motion with a constant can only be used when the acceleration is constant. If the acceleration is changing, a more complex equation, such as the kinematic equations, must be used. However, in some cases, an average acceleration can be used in place of a constant acceleration to make predictions about an object's motion.