Understanding the wavefunction for a free particle

In summary, the rationale for the line is that it is more convenient to work with generalized eigenfunctions when dealing with the Schrodinger equation.
majormuss
Hi everybody,
I was reading about the free particle in a textbook and I got confused by the line:
"If we adopt the convention that k and k are real, then the only oscillating exponentials are the eigenfuntions with positive energy" [Also see the attached picture with the paragraph.]
What is the rationale for that line? Furthermore, does anybody have a link where I can read about those exponentials? I couldn't find them online and I am curious to know how and when they are used to solve the Schrodinger Equation!

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 409
Physics news on Phys.org
majormuss said:
Hi everybody,
I was reading about the free particle in a textbook and I got confused by the line:
"If we adopt the convention that k and k are real, then the only oscillating exponentials are the eigenfuntions with positive energy" [Also see the attached picture with the paragraph.]
What is the rationale for that line? Furthermore, does anybody have a link where I can read about those exponentials? I couldn't find them online and I am curious to know how and when they are used to solve the Schrodinger Equation!
Insert the ##\psi## in the (time independent) SE and see they satisfy the equation !

I don't doubt that they satisfy the equation. My question is about the line,
If we adopt the convention that k and k are real, then the only oscillating exponentials are the eigenfuntions with positive energy"
Why is there a need for both k and kappa be real? And what are those exponentials e^(+-ikx) and e^(+-kx) called and where can I read more about them?

majormuss said:
If we adopt the convention that k and k are real, then the only oscillating exponentials are the eigenfuntions with positive energy"
Why is there a need for both k and kappa be real? And what are those exponentials e^(+-ikx) and e^(+-kx) called and where can I read more about them?
Because if they are not real, then it is difficult to separate the two cases. For instance, an imaginary κ would correspond to a real k.

I don't know of any particular name for these exponentials. They come from the mathematics of differential equations.

Likes bhobba
majormuss said:

If you let ##k## be complex, then you get all the solutions with ##k^2 = -\frac{2mE}{\hbar^2}## hence:

##k = \pm i \frac{\sqrt{2mE}}{\hbar}##

And:

##\psi(x) = Ae^{\pm i \frac{\sqrt{2mE}}{\hbar}x}##

So, it amounts to the same thing. Taking ##k## as real initially is just a bit of a shortcut, based to some extent on knowing the solution in advance!

Likes majormuss
What's the source? It's very inaccurate.

The rationale is the following: In wave mechanics the vectors of the quantum mechanical Hilbert space are represented by square integrable functions ##\psi:\mathbb{R}^3 \rightarrow \mathbb{C}##. The position vector ##\vec{x}## is represented by the multiplication of the wave function with ##\vec{x}##, and momentum by ##\hat{\vec{p}}=-\hbar \vec{\nabla}##.

These operators are defined on a dense subspace of these Hilbert space of square-integrable functions. Now you can ask for the generalized eigenfunctions of momentum. They obey the equation
$$\hat{\vec{p}} u_{\vec{p}}(\vec{x})=\vec{p} \psi(\vec{x}).$$
The operators have to be understood as self-adjoint operators, and their eigenvalues are thus real. For real ##\vec{p}## the solution of the eigenvalue problem reads
$$u_{\vec{p}}(\vec{x})=\frac{1}{(2 \pi \hbar)^{3/2}} \exp\left (\frac{\mathrm{i} \vec{x} \cdot \vec{p}}{\hbar} \right).$$
I've normalized this generalized functions "to the ##\delta## distibution", i.e.,
$$\langle u_{\vec{p}'}|u_{\vec{p}} \rangle=\int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \mathrm{d}^3 \vec{x} u_{\vec{p}'}^*(\vec{x}) u_{\vec{p}}(\vec{x})=\delta^{(3)}(\vec{p}-\vec{p}').$$
These generalized eigenfunctions do NOT represent states since they are not square integrable, but you can describe all wave functions in terms of generalized momentum eigenstates:
$$\psi(\vec{x})=\int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \mathrm{d}^3 \vec{p} u_{\vec{p}} (\vec{x}) \tilde{\psi}(\vec{p}),$$
where ##\tilde{\psi}(\vec{p})## is a square integrable function. Then also ##\psi(\vec{x})## is a square integrable function and represents a state of the particle. For the given wave function ##\psi(\vec{x})## you find the ##\tilde{\psi}(\vec{x})## by the inverse transformation (it's a Fourier transformation!):
$$\tilde{\psi}(\vec{p})=\int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \mathrm{d}^3 \vec{x} u^*(\vec{p})(\vec{x}) \psi(\vec{x}).$$

I agree the wording is odd. The time-independent SE leads to a time part of the solution of the time-dependent SE of the form ##\exp({-iEt/ \hbar})##. The continuity equation forces ##(E-E^*) = 0## so E is real.

Then: with the most general form, a complex ##e^{{\bf \alpha} x} ## where ##{\bf \alpha} = \kappa + ik \ \ ## (##\kappa## and ##k## real), you get from the time-independent SE: ##\ \ -{\hbar^2\over 2m}{\bf\alpha}^2 = E\ ## . Positive, real-valued E requires ##\kappa = 0##.

As vanHees points out, these are solutions, eigenfunctions of the Hamiltonian. They are not physically realizable states (not normalizable). But that is (I expect) a subject further on in your curriculum.

Likes majormuss and vanhees71
That the plane waves are not representing states, is a very important point. A lot of confusion arises from not making this very clear in the very first encounter of these generalized solutions of the Schrödinger equation!

Related to Understanding the wavefunction for a free particle

1. What is a wavefunction for a free particle?

A wavefunction for a free particle is a mathematical function that describes the probability of finding a particle in a particular location at a specific time. It is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and is represented by the symbol Ψ (psi).

2. How is the wavefunction related to the behavior of a particle?

The wavefunction of a particle contains information about its position, momentum, and energy. It is used to calculate the probability of finding the particle in a specific state or location. The behavior of a particle is described by the evolution of its wavefunction over time.

3. Can the wavefunction be observed or measured directly?

No, the wavefunction is a mathematical construct and cannot be directly observed or measured. It is an abstract representation of the probabilistic nature of quantum particles.

4. What is the significance of the wavefunction in quantum mechanics?

The wavefunction is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and is used to describe the behavior of particles on a microscopic scale. It is essential for understanding the probabilistic nature of particles and their interactions.

5. How does the wavefunction change in the presence of a potential energy barrier?

In the presence of a potential energy barrier, the wavefunction of a particle changes to reflect the probability of the particle tunneling through the barrier. This results in a decrease in the amplitude of the wavefunction beyond the barrier and an increase in the amplitude within the barrier.