Understanding the Time Offset in EM Plane Waves

In summary, the E and B fields of an EM wave are defined as E(x, y, z, t) = E0sin(kx - wt)y_hat and B(x, y, z, t) = B0sin(kx - wt)z_hat. The minus sign before the wt term indicates that the wave is traveling in the +x direction. This can be understood by looking at a simple pulse function, where a shift in the +x direction is represented by a negative term.
maxsthekat
This isn't a homework question so much as a general question about the equation I see used in the textbook:

The E field of an EM wave is defined as E(x, y, z, t) = E0sin(kx - wt)y_hat and the B field of an EM wave is defined as B(x, y, z, t) = B0sin(kx - wt)z_hat.

Why is there a minus sign in front of the wt term? I understand how kx (the offset in space) is positive; why wouldn't the time offset (wt) also be positive in this equation?

Thanks!

-Max

Physics news on Phys.org
The minus sign just means the wave is traveling in the +x direction.

You could have it be +wt. In that case the wave travels in the -x direction.

I see... But, why is a +x direction a -wt term?

At t = 0
. f(k). .........

At t = t
..... f(k-wt) .....

Where f(k) is a pulse

see f(x-5) goes towards positive side and f (x+5) is at negative side or you can use the word "shift". This can understood good if you use one simple pulse rather than a complex sinusoidal function

maxsthekat said:
I see... But, why is a +x direction a -wt term?

Hmmm. Well, let me ask a somewhat more basic question. Do you understand why a graph of the function f(x-1) would look the same as f(x), except that it would be shifted by 1 unit in the +x direction?

Related to Understanding the Time Offset in EM Plane Waves

1. What is an EM plane wave?

An EM plane wave is a type of electromagnetic radiation that travels through space in a straight line. It is characterized by its electric and magnetic fields, which are perpendicular to each other and to the direction of propagation.

2. How is an EM plane wave generated?

An EM plane wave can be generated by accelerating charged particles, such as electrons, or by oscillating electric charges. These actions create disturbances in the electric and magnetic fields, which then propagate as an EM plane wave.

3. What are the properties of an EM plane wave?

An EM plane wave has several key properties, including its wavelength, frequency, amplitude, and polarization. It also follows the laws of reflection, refraction, and diffraction.

4. How does an EM plane wave interact with matter?

When an EM plane wave encounters matter, it can be absorbed, transmitted, or reflected. The type and amount of interaction depends on the properties of the material, such as its density, conductivity, and permittivity.

5. What are the practical applications of EM plane waves?

EM plane waves have countless practical applications, including radio and television broadcasting, wireless communication, radar, and medical imaging. They are also used in scientific research to study the properties of matter and the universe.