Understanding the Span of Matrices: Can Someone Explain This Question to Me?

In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help with a homework question involving spanning sets and linear combinations of matrices. They are confused about the intuition behind the question and ask for guidance, eventually figuring it out on their own. The concept of spanning sets is explained, and the specific question they were working on is discussed.
sciencegem
Hi all,

This isn't actually part of my assigned homework, I was just trying it out as the topic confuses me. I think I might understand what's going on a little more if someone could walk me through this. Any advice on the intuition behind it would be great. Thanks so much.

1. Homework Statement

Sorry I'm not sure how to input matrices properly...I've attached a pic off the web. It's question 11.

Homework Equations

I think the fundamental idea here is spanning sets, which is all the possible linear combinations of those matrices, right?

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
The truth is I'm not really sure what the logic behind solving this is. My attempt involved row reducing a matrix with A_1, A_2, and A_3 straightened out as it's columns, but I wasn't really sure what to do with the result as honestly I'm pretty slow and I don't have any intuition regarding this question. If someone could walk me through this I'd be extremely grateful :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-06-07 at 11.16.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-06-07 at 11.16.54 PM.png
    58.4 KB · Views: 470
Physics news on Phys.org
Figured it out :P just wasn't thinking it through at all. Sorry about that. If anyone has any gems they want to throw in about the nature of spanning sets or what not fantastic, otherwise case closed.

The span of a set of vectors is just their most general linear combination. The span of [itex]\{v_1, v_2, \cdot\cdot\cdot, v_n\}[/itex] is the the set of all vectors of the form [itex]a_1v_1+ a_2v_2+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ a_nv_n[/itex] where [itex]a_1[/itex], [itex]a_2[/itex], ..., [itex]a_n[/itex] can be any numbers. In problem 9, you are given that [itex]A_1= \begin{pmatrix}1 & 2 \\ - 1 & 1\end{pmatrix}[/itex] and [itex]A_2= \begin{pmatrix}0 & 1 \\ 2 & 1 \end{pmatrix}[/itex]. The span of [itex]\{A_1, A_2\}[/itex] is the set of all matrices of the form
$$aA_1+ bA_2= a\begin{pmatrix}1 & 2 \\ - 1 & 1\end{pmatrix}+ b\begin{pmatrix}0 & 1 \\ 2 & 1 \end{pmatrix}= \begin{pmatrix}a & 2a+ b \\ 2b- a & a+ b \end{pmatrix} $$ where a and b are any two numbers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes sciencegem

Related to Understanding the Span of Matrices: Can Someone Explain This Question to Me?

What is a span of matrices?

A span of matrices is the set of all possible linear combinations of a given set of matrices. It represents the entire space that can be created by combining the matrices in different ways.

Why is the span of matrices important?

The span of matrices is important because it helps us understand the possible solutions to a system of linear equations. It also allows us to determine the dimension and basis of a vector space, which has many applications in mathematics and science.

How do you find the span of matrices?

The span of matrices can be found by performing row operations on the matrices and determining the resulting linear combinations. Alternatively, it can be found by finding the null space of the matrices and determining the basis of the vector space.

What is the relationship between the span of matrices and linear independence?

A set of matrices is linearly independent if none of the matrices in the set can be created by combining the others. The span of matrices is the set of all possible combinations of the matrices, so if the span of matrices is the same as the set of matrices, they are linearly independent.

Can the span of matrices be infinite?

Yes, the span of matrices can be infinite if there are an infinite number of matrices in the original set. This often occurs when dealing with continuous functions, where there are an infinite number of possible combinations of values.