Understanding the Relationship Between Phi, OHM & Music

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between music, meditation, and certain principles of physics such as Ohm and Phi. The conversation also explores the idea of resonance and how it may explain the euphoric effects of music on the brain. The speaker also suggests that music is a fundamental aspect of life, as everything moves in waves.
jordan
ok, so I'm a physics ignaramus. and a spelling one too.

but recently i was thinking about what is this thing we call music
and why, when u go to a jam concert (Grateful Dead, Phish, Etc.)- you reach something like a meditative state, (yes, even without drugs)

and i stumbled upon Ohm. around 7 or 8 beats per second. super low frequency. maybe the concerts were just hitting repetitive bass notes which forced a meditation.

somehow i then stumbled upon Phi.

and then i got really confused.

now I'm left trying to piece together some semblence of reason. and i think there is none

maybe i should go back to just listening to the music, but... if anyone has any imput on this crazy thing called Phi (and its relationship with love/music/ and especially Ohm) i'd appreciate it.

[?]

i know electronic music uses some principles of physics to create transe...whats the deal with this stuff...

not only music, but what is Phi-and why's it so powerful. the more info, the better
thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
jordan said:
ok, so I'm a physics ignaramus. and a spelling one too.

but recently i was thinking about what is this thing we call music
and why, when u go to a jam concert (Grateful Dead, Phish, Etc.)- you reach something like a meditative state, (yes, even without drugs)

and i stumbled upon Ohm. around 7 or 8 beats per second. super low frequency. maybe the concerts were just hitting repetitive bass notes which forced a meditation.

somehow i then stumbled upon Phi.

and then i got really confused.

now I'm left trying to piece together some semblence of reason. and i think there is none

maybe i should go back to just listening to the music, but... if anyone has any imput on this crazy thing called Phi (and its relationship with love/music/ and especially Ohm) i'd appreciate it.

[?]

i know electronic music uses some principles of physics to create transe...whats the deal with this stuff...

not only music, but what is Phi-and why's it so powerful. the more info, the better
thank you!

Phi is the 21st letter of the Greek alphabet, and I have no idea how a letter could have anything to do with music/love etc.

Phi is the letter designating a certain irrational number that comes into spirals, growth patterns of flowers, and Fibonacci numbers (don't ask). Some people get all mystical about it, but it's just a number. I don't know if basic harmony (which is mostly what those groups produced) has anything to do with phi; harmony has a deep connection to logarithms, and phi has a loose connection to logarithms so maybe.

May I suggest that music brings on meditation in two ways...

1) There are certain areas of the brain like the pineal gland that produce chemicals like seratonin, melatonin, DMT, etc. These chemicals can produce euphoric effects on our nervous system similar to the effects that meditation brings on. Also, these chemicals reside in discrete locations of the brain like the pineal gland and can be triggered to release into your blood stream or cerebro fluid . Here comes the tricky part... a process called 'resonance' can 'shake' the pineal gland and other parts of the brain, and get them to release seratonin, melatoni, DMT, etc. Resonance can be explained simply like this: Imagine you are in a small Jacuzzi and you thrust your body forward towards the North wall and the water rushes forward. If you then thrust your body backwards as the wave bounces off of the North wall and comes Southwards, the size of the wave increases dramatically. If you then allow the wave to hit the South wall and return going Northwards, and you move forwards with the wave, the wave gets even BIGGER! This is resonance. Resonance is literally the wave reflecting back onto itself perfectly so that it gets bigger and bigger and bigger as you ebb back and forth with it. So then, think of the music you hear as a sound wave, and your pineal gland as the jacuzzi. As the sound wave enters your pineal gland it bounces back and forth, back and forth. But since more and more soundwaves keep coming in from the instruments, they overlap perfectly (resonate) in your pineal gland until the total wave becomes so strong that it literally shakes your pineal gland and the chemicals get knocked into your bloodstream and cerebral fluid! That is the secret to music!

2) Scientists have known for decades that the brain vibrates at a certain rate called your 'brain wave'. There are 5 different kinds of brain waves: 1) Alpha waves (8-13 beats per second) occur in relaxed adults who are awake with their eyes closed. 2) Beta waves (13-22 bps) occur in an adult who is concentrating seriously. 3) Delta waves (0.5-4 bps) occur in either sleeping adults, or in young infants. 4) Theta waves (4-8 bps) occur in children. 5) And Gamma waves (22-30 bps) are somewhat of a mystery. My suggestion, is that the music that produces the OHM (7-8 bps) you talked about may actually resonate with your Alpha brain wave (recall: 8-13 bps) and thus it may shake the brain sufficiently to cause nearly all areas of your brain to 'dump' their euphoric chemicals into your bloodstream and cerebral fluid.

I hope this helps! Personally, I believe music is life, after all, everything moves in waves!

P.S. You can find out more about brain waves by google searching for 'Electroencephalography', or 'EEG' for short, there is tons of exciting info. for you to see! Good luck traveller.

Related to Understanding the Relationship Between Phi, OHM & Music

1. What is the significance of Phi, OHM, and music?

Phi, OHM, and music are all closely related in terms of frequency and vibration. Phi, also known as the golden ratio, is a mathematical constant found in nature and often used in art and design. OHM, or Ω, is a unit of measurement for electrical resistance. Music, on the other hand, is a form of art and expression that involves sound and rhythm. The relationship between these three concepts lies in the fact that they all involve vibrations and frequencies.

2. How does Phi relate to music?

Phi is often found in the construction of musical instruments, specifically in the proportions and ratios of their parts. For example, the distance between frets on a guitar follows the golden ratio. Additionally, the frequency of notes in a musical scale can also be related to Phi.

3. What is the connection between OHM and music?

OHM can be thought of as a measure of the resistance to the flow of electricity. In terms of music, this can be related to the resistance of sound waves through different mediums, such as air or water. This resistance can affect the quality and tone of the music produced.

4. How do Phi and OHM work together in the context of music?

The golden ratio has been found to be closely related to the frequency of sound waves in music, specifically in the ratio between different notes and intervals. OHM, as a measure of resistance, can affect the frequency and amplitude of these sound waves, ultimately impacting the overall musical experience.

5. What is the significance of understanding the relationship between Phi, OHM, and music?

Understanding the relationship between these concepts can provide insight into the intricate connections between mathematics, science, and art. It also highlights the fundamental role of vibration and frequency in our world, and how they can be harnessed to create beautiful and meaningful works of music.