Understanding the Path Difference in Michelson Morley Experiment

In summary: The speed of light in the ether frame is c, so the distance traveled would be ct. However, in the interferometer frame, the speed of light is not c, so the distance traveled would be different. This difference is a second-order small quantity, and can be ignored for practical purposes. In summary, the time difference between the arrival of two beams due to the presence of an ether can be derived as t≈lv2/c3. To find the expected phase shift, a path difference of ct is needed. However, in the interferometer frame, the speed of light is not c, so the difference in path distance is a second-order small quantity and can be ignored.
physiks
I'm a little confused about this.

I know how to derive the expression t≈lv2/c3 for the time difference between the arrival of the two beams due to the presence of an ether, with the Earth moving at speed v through the ether, and l the distance between the beam splitter and each mirror. This can be done so by working in the ether frame or the interferometer frame.

Now, ultimately I want to find the expected phase shift if the ether were to exist. To do so I need a path difference from this time difference. My book says it is given by ct, i.e s≈lv2c2. I understand this in the ether frame, as the light travels at speed c. But in the interferometer frame, it doesn't have this speed, and so I don't understand what's going on there. I'm very confused. From this path difference, it's easy to get the phase difference.

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can't you assume the difference in reference frame speeds is small, so the difference in computed path differences is a second-order small quantity?

haruspex said:
Can't you assume the difference in reference frame speeds is small, so the difference in computed path differences is a second-order small quantity?

That would make sense!

Related to Understanding the Path Difference in Michelson Morley Experiment

1. What is the Michelson Morley experiment?

The Michelson Morley experiment was a scientific experiment conducted in 1887 by Albert A. Michelson and Edward W. Morley to measure the speed of light and confirm the existence of the luminiferous ether, a medium thought to transmit light waves.

2. What was the purpose of the Michelson Morley experiment?

The purpose of the Michelson Morley experiment was to detect the motion of the Earth through the luminiferous ether by measuring the speed of light in different directions. This was based on the theory that the Earth would have a different speed relative to the ether at different times of the year due to its orbit around the sun.

3. How was the Michelson Morley experiment conducted?

The experiment involved splitting a beam of light into two perpendicular paths and then recombining them to create an interference pattern. Any differences in the speed of light in the two paths would result in a shifting of the interference pattern. The experiment was then repeated at different times of the year to detect any changes in the speed of light caused by the Earth's motion through the ether.

4. What were the results of the Michelson Morley experiment?

The results of the experiment were unexpected and controversial. Despite multiple trials at different times of the year, no differences in the speed of light were detected. This led to the rejection of the theory of the luminiferous ether and the development of the theory of relativity by Albert Einstein.

5. Why is the Michelson Morley experiment significant?

The Michelson Morley experiment is significant because it provided evidence against the existence of the luminiferous ether and paved the way for the development of the theory of relativity. It also had a major impact on the study of physics and the understanding of the fundamental principles of the universe.