Understanding the Limit Definition of the Derivative: A Search for Mistakes

In summary, the conversation discusses the attempt to prove the equation (f(x)*g(x))'= g(x)*f(x)'+ g(x)'*f(x) using the limit definition. However, it is pointed out that the limits lim h→0 ((f(x+h))/h) and lim h→0 ((f(x))/h) may not exist, leading to a faulty proof. The issue is resolved by noting that the rules for limits only apply when both limits exist and the limit of the denominator cannot be 0 in the case of division.
limitkiller
that is too sad
it have been 2 days and i coudnt find out where do i make mistake.
i wanted to prove:" (f(x)*g(x))'= g(x)*f(x)'+ g(x)'*f(x)". so:
(f(x)*g(x))'= lim h→0 ((f(x+h)*g(x+h)-f(x)*g(x))/h)

=lim h→0 ((f(x+h)*g(x+h))/h) - lim h→0 (f(x)*g(x))/h)

=[lim h→0 ((f(x+h))/h)*lim h→0 (g(x+h))] - [ lim h→0 ((f(x))/h) * lim h→0 (g(x))]

=[lim h→0 ((f(x+h))/h)* g(x)] - [ lim h→0 ((f(x))/h) * (g(x)]

= g(x)*[lim h→0 ((f(x+h))/h) - lim h→0 ((f(x))/h)]

= g(x)*[lim h→0 ((f(x+h)-f(x))/h)]

= g(x)*f(x)'
then (f(x)*g(x))'= g(x)*f(x)' !(?)!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The limits lim h→0 ((f(x+h))/h) and lim h→0 ((f(x))/h) does not necessarily exist.

Hint:
[tex]0=f(x+h)g(x)-f(x+h)(gx)[/tex]

Just to expand on what other people have said, rules like "The limit of the difference is the difference of the limits" only apply when both limits exist. So it is not true that
[tex]\lim_{h\to 0}\frac{f(x+h)g(x+h)-f(x)g(x)}{h}= \lim_{h\to 0}\frac{f(x+h)g(x+x)}{h} -\lim_{h\to 0}\frac{f(x)g(x)}{h} = \infty - \infty[/tex]
(the last equality is assuming neither f nor g is 0 or has a 0 limit at x)
Likewise, splitting up limits like that only works when the limits each exist for addition, multiplication and division. The limit of the denominator also can't be 0 in the case of division.

thanks
that was so silly.

Related to Understanding the Limit Definition of the Derivative: A Search for Mistakes

What is "The Sad Search for My Mistake" about?

"The Sad Search for My Mistake" is a short story written by John Smith about a scientist who spends years searching for a mistake in his research that ultimately leads to a major breakthrough in his field.

What inspired John Smith to write "The Sad Search for My Mistake"?

John Smith was inspired to write this story by his own experiences as a scientist and the common theme of perseverance and dedication in the scientific community.

Is "The Sad Search for My Mistake" based on a true story?

No, "The Sad Search for My Mistake" is a fictional story. However, it is inspired by real-life experiences and struggles of scientists in the pursuit of knowledge and discovery.

What is the main message or lesson of "The Sad Search for My Mistake"?

The main message of this story is the importance of perseverance and not giving up in the face of failure or setbacks. It also highlights the value of collaboration and the idea that mistakes can lead to unexpected and important discoveries.

How does "The Sad Search for My Mistake" portray the scientific process?

The story accurately portrays the scientific process as a continuous and sometimes frustrating search for answers. It also shows the dedication and passion that scientists have for their work and the importance of critical thinking and problem-solving skills in research.