Understanding the idea of coherence

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of coherence, specifically in relation to a coherent superposition of states and coherent light. Coherence refers to states being coupled and capable of interfering, while coherent light is monochromatic and phase-correlated. The conversation also touches on the existence of coherence in atomic systems and its relation to interference. The conversation also mentions an individual's interest in electromagnetically induced transparency and their writeup on interference in three-level atomic systems.
acme37
I'm having some trouble understanding the idea of coherence.

Consider the phrase: "a coherent superposition of states."

Here I understand the coherence to refer to the states being coupled to each other and capable of interfering, due to a perturbing field.

How does this relate to coherent light, which I understand to be light that is monochromatic and phase-correlated? What happens if you shine light that is monochromatic, but not coherent, on the atomic system?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I basically get it.

"In general, we say that atomic coherence exists when the density matrix has off-diagonal elements" - Quantum Optics, Scully & Zubairy

A coherence exists when an interference can occur

In case anybody is interested, here is why I was asking...

For our QM final we had to pick a topic and do a writeup/presentation. I was intrigued by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetically_induced_transparency" and ended up writing generally about interference in three-level atomic systems. I've attached my writeup - I actually haven't turned it in yet, so if you have any comments, please do share.

Only lame thing is I use a probability amplitude treatment and couldn't get nice closed forms for the absorption and refractive index curves near resonance, which are the useful result here. I could have done the density matrix, but probably not in the 15 minutes I have to present. Solving for the susceptibility gets a little ugly

cheers,
Kevin

Attachments

• Kevin_Emmett_PHYS251b.pdf
    143.3 KB · Views: 217
Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Understanding the idea of coherence

1. What is coherence?

Coherence refers to the logical connection and flow between ideas in a text or speech. It is the quality of being easily understood and making sense to the reader or listener.

2. How is coherence achieved in writing?

Coherence is achieved by using transitional words and phrases, organizing ideas in a logical order, and providing clear and concise connections between sentences and paragraphs. It also involves staying focused on the main idea and avoiding repetition or irrelevant information.

3. Why is coherence important in communication?

Coherence is important in communication because it helps the reader or listener understand the message being conveyed. It also makes the information more memorable and engaging, leading to better comprehension and retention of the ideas being presented.

4. How can coherence be improved in writing?

To improve coherence in writing, one can use techniques such as outlining, creating topic sentences, and using transitional words and phrases. It is also helpful to read and revise the writing to ensure that the ideas are logically connected and flow smoothly.

5. Can coherence be subjective?

Yes, coherence can be subjective to a certain extent. While there are general guidelines and techniques for achieving coherence, it ultimately depends on the reader's interpretation and understanding of the information being presented. Therefore, it is important to consider the target audience when striving for coherence in communication.