Understanding the Fermi sphere

In summary, the Fermi gas is a system of interacting particles with specific energies that are distributed over different energy states due to the Pauli exclusion principle. The real part of the antiderivative of exp(ik(x-x'))dk can be used to obtain two functions representing the probability of a particle being in a particular energy state. The first integral from 0 to k0 represents the probability of a particle having an energy up to k0, while the second integral from k0 to 2k0 represents the probability of a particle having an energy between k0 and 2k0. These probabilities are important for understanding the behaviour of the Fermi gas.
scigal89
I'd really appreciate any insight on any of this since I've hit a wall. It is about the Fermi gas.
---
My teacher did an example in class that didn't make much sense, and I'm trying to understand it. He had us take the real-part of the antiderivative of exp(ik(x-x'))dk, then evaluate it to obtain 2 functions, both like sinc functions. Tthe first is evaluated from 0 to k0 and I don't know if the other was supposed to be from 0 to 2k0 or k0 to 2k0 (that's part of my question). I assume we integrate the plane waves on these intervals because it's like periodic conditions in momentum-space since obviously integrating over all space is impractical since it would give a delta function... but why 0 to k0? Shouldn't it be -k0 to k0 for a sphere of radius k0? Otherwise, it seems like you are only getting half the sphere. What about the other integral, would it be 0 to 2k0 or k0 to 2k0? Are these probabilities? What are they physically?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The Fermi gas is a system of interacting particles in which the Pauli exclusion principle is at work. The particles have a specific energy, and due to the Pauli exclusion principle, no two particles can occupy the same energy state. This means that the particles must be distributed over different energy states. As such, one can use the real part of the antiderivative of exp(ik(x-x'))dk to obtain two functions which represent the probability of a particle being in a particular energy state. The first integral from 0 to k0 represents the probability of a particle having an energy up to k0, while the second integral from k0 to 2k0 represents the probability of a particle having an energy between k0 and 2k0. These probabilities are important for understanding the behaviour of the Fermi gas.

Related to Understanding the Fermi sphere

What is the Fermi sphere?

The Fermi sphere is a concept in solid state physics that represents the region of momentum space occupied by electrons at absolute zero temperature. It is a representation of the set of all possible quantum states that electrons can occupy in a solid material.

How does the Fermi sphere relate to electronic band structure?

The Fermi sphere is closely related to the electronic band structure of a material. The occupied states within the Fermi sphere determine the electronic properties of a material, such as its conductivity and thermal properties.

What is the significance of the Fermi level in relation to the Fermi sphere?

The Fermi level is the energy level at which electrons have a 50% probability of being occupied in a material. It is also known as the chemical potential. The Fermi level is important because it determines the number of electrons available for conducting electricity and determines the shape and size of the Fermi sphere.

How does temperature affect the Fermi sphere?

As temperature increases, electrons gain more energy and can occupy higher energy states. This leads to an expansion of the Fermi sphere and an increase in the number of available states for conducting electricity. At absolute zero temperature, the Fermi sphere shrinks to a single point, representing the maximum energy state that electrons can occupy in a material.

What is the relationship between the Fermi sphere and superconductivity?

The Fermi sphere plays a crucial role in understanding superconductivity, which is the phenomenon of zero electrical resistance in certain materials at very low temperatures. The Fermi level and Fermi sphere are important in determining the critical temperature at which a material becomes a superconductor and the energy gap that allows for the movement of electrons without resistance.