Understanding the Evolution of a Gaussian Wave Packet

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the wave function \Psi(x, t) for a gaussian wave packet using the amplitude distribution function a(k) and its evolution. The process involves completing the square and utilizing the dispersion relation for a massive particle. After completing the necessary calculations, the evolution of the wave function can be described by analyzing the changes in amplitude and width over time. Short and long times can be determined by considering the scale set by the parameters involved.
wany

Homework Statement

Calculate [itex]\Psi(x, t)[/itex] for the gaussian wave packet according to the amplitude distribution function a(k)=C*[itex]\alpha*e^{-\alpha^2k^2}[/itex]/ [itex]\sqrt{\pi}[/itex]and describe its evolution.

Homework Equations

[itex]\Psi(x, t)=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} a(k)e^{i\{kx-w(k)t\}}dk[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

know that C and [itex]\alpha[/itex] are constants:

So by plugging in for a(k) we get:
[itex]=\frac{c\alpha e^{-iwt}}{\sqrt{\pi}}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-\alpha^2k^2}e^{i\{kx-w(k)t\}}dk[/itex]

Now we complete the square: [itex]ikx-\alpha^2k^2=-(\alpha*k-ix/(2\alpha}^2)-x^2/4\alpha^2}[/itex]

let [itex]z=\alpha*k-\frac{ix}{2\alpha}[/itex]

so we have now [itex]\Psi(x, t)=\frac{C*\alpha e^{-iwt}}{\alpha*\sqrt{\pi}}e^{-x^2/4*\alpha^2}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-z^2}dz[/itex]

which we know the integral equals [itex]\sqrt{\pi}[/itex]
so by plugging that in and canceling we get [itex]\Psi(x, t)=Ce^{-(iwt+x^2/4*\alpha^2)}[/itex]

First of all I do not know if this is right and second of all how do I describe the evolution.
Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You should indicate that the integrals are over k. You also didn't specify if we're dealing with a massive particle or not, since

[tex] w(k) = \frac{\hbar^2k^2}{2m}, ~~m>0, [/tex]
[tex]w(k) = kc, ~~m=0.[/tex]

Once you settle that, you will need to complete the square in the exponent of the integral to obtain a true Gaussian integral.

sorry I was in the process of trying to get equations to show properly. The latex function in this forum is not working properly for me for some reason, but yes I completed the square as you can see from my updated.
Also we are not told if its a massive particle or not, but its under the section Wavefunction For A Free Particle.

w(k) is a function of k, you can't just pull out the time dependence. The time-dependence of the wavefunction will be slightly more complicated than just a periodic phase. Presumably you can use the dispersion relation for a massive particle.

ok so plugging in [tex]w(k) = \frac{\hbar^2k^2}{2m}[/tex]
will give us: [itex]
=\frac{c\alpha }{\sqrt{\pi}}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-\alpha^2k^2}e^{i\{kx-\hbar^2k^2t/(2m)\}}dk
[/itex]

So now we need to complete the square of : [itex]
ikx-\alpha^2k^2-\hbar^2k^2t/(2m)= ikx-k^2(\alpha^2-\hbar^2t/(2m))
[/itex]

I am stuck on how to do this now though since we are stuck with three different terms.
Any help would be appreciated.

The term is still of the form [tex]ak^2 + b k[/tex], you can complete that square easily and then substitute back for a and b.

ok so completing the square I get:
[itex]ikx-\alpha^2k^2-\hbar^2k^2t/(2m)= ikx-k^2(\alpha^2-\hbar^2t/(2m))=-(\sqrt{\alpha^2-\hbar^2t/(2m)}k - \frac{ix}{2\sqrt{\alpha^2-\hbar^2t/(2m)}})^2 - \frac{x^2}{4(\alpha^2-\hbar^2t/(2m))}[/itex]

So we let [itex]z=\sqrt{\alpha^2-\hbar^2t/(2m)}k - \frac{ix}{2\sqrt{\alpha^2-\hbar^2t/(2m)}}[/itex]

Now plugging this back in we get that:
[itex]\Psi(x, t)=\frac{c\alpha }{\sqrt{\pi}}*\frac{1}{\sqrt{\alpha^2-\hbar^2t/(2m)}}*e^{\frac{x^2}{4(\alpha^2-\hbar^2t/(2m))}}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-z^2}dz=\frac{c\alpha}{\sqrt{\alpha^2-\hbar^2t/(2m)}}*e^{\frac{x^2}{4(\alpha^2-\hbar^2t/(2m))}}[/itex]

Is this correct? And if so how do I then describe the evolution?
Thank you for your help this far.

I didn't check every step of the math, but it looks reasonable. A Gaussian function is parametrized by it's amplitude and width, try to figure out how these are varying with time. Maybe make a rough sketch for short and long times. A good question to ask is what sets the scale of short and long times.

Ok thank you very much. After some more work, I found the evolution of the wave.
Also for anyone referencing this, I forgot an i and made a mistake on a negative sign:
the completing the square should actually be:
[itex]ikx-\alpha^2k^2-i\hbar^2k^2t/(2m)= ikx-k^2(\alpha^2+i\hbar^2t/(2m))=-(\sqrt{\alpha^2+i\hbar^2t/(2m)}k - \frac{ix}{2\sqrt{\alpha^2+i\hbar^2t/(2m)}})^2 - \frac{x^2}{4(\alpha^2+i\hbar^2t/(2m))}
[/itex]
So the rest will change based on this.

Thanks again.

Related to Understanding the Evolution of a Gaussian Wave Packet

What is a Gaussian wave?

A Gaussian wave is a type of wave that is described by a Gaussian function, which is a mathematical function that is shaped like a bell curve. It is commonly used to model the spread of a quantity over time or space.

How does a Gaussian wave spread?

A Gaussian wave spreads by gradually increasing in amplitude and width as it moves away from its origin. This is due to the nature of the Gaussian function, which has a characteristic bell-shaped curve.

What factors affect the spreading of a Gaussian wave?

The spreading of a Gaussian wave is affected by several factors, including the initial amplitude and width of the wave, the medium through which it is propagating, and any external forces acting on the wave.

Can a Gaussian wave spread indefinitely?

No, a Gaussian wave cannot spread indefinitely. As the wave spreads, its amplitude and width will eventually decrease to a point where it is no longer detectable. This is due to the inherent properties of the Gaussian function.

What real-world phenomena can be modeled using Gaussian waves?

Gaussian waves can be used to model a variety of real-world phenomena, including diffraction of light, heat transfer, and the spread of pollutants in the environment. They are also commonly used in signal processing and data analysis.