Understanding the Dot Product Formula: An Explanation and Example

In summary, the conversation is about the product rule and how it applies to the equation v^2 = v.v. The product rule states that the time derivative of a product is equal to the first term multiplied by the derivative of the second term, plus the second term multiplied by the derivative of the first term. This is applied to the equation v^2 = v.v to show that v ⋅ dv/dt = 1/2 d(v^2)/dt. The conversation also mentions the need for practice to spot the application of the product rule in reverse.
Seung Ju Yoo
In a book I was reading, it says
F=mv'=P'

so dot producting on both sides with v

Fv = mv ⋅ dv/dt = 1/2 m d(v2)/dt = d(1/2 m v^2)/dtI really don't get how v ⋅ dv/dt = 1/2 d(v2)/dt.
I have seen few threads and they say it's about product rule, but they don't really explain in detail.

Could anyone help me with this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Seung Ju Yoo said:
In a book I was reading, it says
F=mv'=P'

so dot producting on both sides with v

Fv = mv ⋅ dv/dt = 1/2 m d(v2)/dt = d(1/2 m v^2)/dtI really don't get how v ⋅ dv/dt = 1/2 d(v2)/dt.
I have seen few threads and they say it's about product rule, but they don't really explain in detail.

Could anyone help me with this?

Welcome to PF!

##v^2 = \textbf{v.v}##

Can you now differentiate that equation?

V^2 = V . V

And the time derivative of it is V' . V + V . V'

PeroK said:
Welcome to PF!

##v^2 = \textbf{v.v}##

Can you now differentiate that equation?
jedishrfu said:
V^2 = V . V

And the time derivative of it is V' . V + V . V'
Oh.. I see. I did not now that d(x ⋅ y)/dt = x' ⋅ y + x ⋅ y'

Knowing this, going right from left is easy, but I guess going left to right needs some practice to spot!

Thank you both peroK and Jedishrfu!

In Cartesian component form, what is ##\vec{v}\centerdot d\vec{v}##?

Chet

Related to Understanding the Dot Product Formula: An Explanation and Example

1. What is the dot product formula?

The dot product formula is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors as input and produces a scalar (a single number) as output. It is also known as the scalar product or inner product.

2. How is the dot product calculated?

The dot product is calculated by multiplying the corresponding components of the two vectors and then adding them together. For example, if we have two vectors A = [a1, a2, a3] and B = [b1, b2, b3], the dot product would be calculated as a1b1 + a2b2 + a3b3.

3. What is the geometric interpretation of the dot product?

The dot product has a geometric interpretation as well. It can be thought of as the projection of one vector onto the other, multiplied by the magnitude of the other vector. This can also be visualized as the area of a parallelogram formed by the two vectors.

4. How is the dot product useful in real-world applications?

The dot product is used in many fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It can be used to calculate work, determine the angle between two vectors, and even in machine learning algorithms.

5. Can the dot product be negative?

Yes, the dot product can be negative. This occurs when the angle between the two vectors is greater than 90 degrees. It can also be 0 if the two vectors are perpendicular to each other.