Understanding the derivative of natural log function

In summary, the derivative of ln(x) is 1/x because the derivative represents the gradient of a graph at a given point, and since the graph of a constant is a horizontal line with a gradient of 0, the derivative of ln(4) is 0. The algebraic version of F'(x) ln(x) = 1/x exists because of the chain rule, but strictly speaking, the derivative of the natural logarithm is f'(x)/f(x). The discussion regarding the posting issue has been moved to a separate thread.
m3dicat3d
Hope this is in the right place... I'm trying to understand why the derivative of ln(x) is 1/x while the derivative of something like ln(4) is 0. My knee-jerk reaction is to view 4 as representative of x, thereby giving me F'(x) ln(4) = 1/4, not 0. That would be the case, except ln(4) is a constant. Since I understand that ln(4) is a constant, the derivative should in fact be a zero. So maybe what is confusing me is why do we have the algebraic version of F'(x) ln(x) = 1/x in the first place (unless x represents another function instead of a number)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: understanding the derivative of natural log function

m3dicat3d said:
Hope this is in the right place... I'm trying to understand why the derivative of ln(x) is 1/x while the derivative of something like ln(4) is 0. My knee-jerk reaction is to view 4 as representative of x, thereby giving me F'(x) ln(4) = 1/4, not 0. That would be the case, except ln(4) is a constant. Since I understand that ln(4) is a constant, the derivative should in fact be a zero. So maybe what is confusing me is why do we have the algebraic version of F'(x) ln(x) = 1/x in the first place (unless x represents another function instead of a number)?

Imagine the derivative as being the gradient of an expression as per it's first principles. The graph of a the constant $y=a$ is a horizontal line so it has a gradient of $\dfrac{0}{\Delta x} = 0$ so long as $\Delta x \neq 0$.

When you take the derivative of $f(x)$ w.r.t $x$ at a given point P you're evaluating the gradient of f(x) at P, it's a point on a graph rather than a whole graph itself.

Strictly speaking of course the derivative of the natural logarithm is $\dfrac{f'(x)}{f(x)}$ because of the chain rule.

Re: understanding the derivative of natural log function

Thanks for the reply, I just starting writing out a long winded reply as to what I didn't understand, and in the process I thought through the matter more and ended up understanding it haha!

[moderator edit] The discussion regarding the posting issue has been moved here:

http://www.mathhelpboards.com/f25/unable-enter-carriage-return-into-my-posts-4787/

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Understanding the derivative of natural log function

What is the natural log function?

The natural log function, denoted as ln(x), is the inverse of the exponential function, e^x. It is a mathematical function used to describe the rate of growth or decay of a quantity over time.

What is the derivative of the natural log function?

The derivative of the natural log function, ln(x), is 1/x. This means that the slope of the tangent line to the curve of ln(x) at any point is equal to 1/x.

Why is the derivative of the natural log function important?

The derivative of the natural log function is important in many areas of mathematics and science, including calculus, physics, and economics. It is used to find the rate of change of a quantity and to solve various optimization problems.

How do you find the derivative of the natural log function?

To find the derivative of the natural log function, we use the power rule of differentiation. This states that the derivative of ln(x) is equal to 1/x. We can also use the chain rule to find the derivative of more complex natural log functions.

Can the derivative of the natural log function be negative?

Yes, the derivative of the natural log function can be negative. This occurs when the value of x is less than 1. In this case, the slope of the tangent line to the curve of ln(x) is negative, indicating a decreasing rate of change.