Understanding the Derivation of Reciprocal Lattice Basis from Equations 5 and 6

In summary, to find the equations for ##b_i## from equations 5 and 6, you can check directly that they satisfy the desired equations. Alternatively, you can argue that since the vectors ##a_i## are linearly independent, the equations can be uniquely solved for ##b_i##, which leads to the above solutions. To find the equations from scratch, you can use the fact that since ##b_1## is orthogonal to both ##a_2## and ##a_3##, it can be written as ##b_1=c_1 (a_2\times a_3)##, and then solve for ##c_1## using the equation ##a_1\cdot b_1=2
sam45
TL;DR Summary
I am trying to understand how to determine the reciprocal lattice basis from the lattice basis vectors
may someone explain to me or show me the steps of how equations 7a, 7b, 7c were determined from equations 5 and 6
1578337028016.png

1578337041041.png

Physics news on Phys.org
You can check directly that those formulas for the ##b_i## satisfy the equations that you want. For example, ##b_1\cdot a_1=2\pi\frac{a_1\cdot (a_2\times a_3)}{a_1\cdot (a_2\times a_3)}=2\pi##.

Since the vectors ##a_i## are linearly independent, the equations ##b_i\cdot a_j=2\pi\delta_{ij}## can be uniquely solved for the ##b_i##, and hence the above are the unique solutions.

If you wanted to figure out these formulas from scratch, you could argue like this: since ##b_1## is orthogonal to both ##a_2## and ##a_3##, you know that ##b_1=c_1 (a_2\times a_3)## for some constant ##c_1##. Then the equation ##a_1\cdot b_1=2\pi## let's you solve for ##c_1##, etc.

hello,

thank you. yes, but my question is how are they solved for bi i.e. what are the steps to find b1 for example

thank you

See the last paragraph of my post
Infrared said:
If you wanted to figure out these formulas from scratch, you could argue like this: since ##b_1## is orthogonal to both ##a_2## and ##a_3##, you know that ##b_1=c_1 (a_2\times a_3)## for some constant ##c_1##. Then the equation ##a_1\cdot b_1=2\pi## let's you solve for ##c_1##, etc.

Likes sam45
thank you for your help!

Related to Understanding the Derivation of Reciprocal Lattice Basis from Equations 5 and 6

1. What is a reciprocal lattice basis?

A reciprocal lattice basis is a set of vectors that can be used to describe the periodicity of a crystal lattice in reciprocal space. It is the mathematical representation of the diffraction pattern produced by a crystal when it is exposed to X-rays or other forms of radiation.

2. How is a reciprocal lattice basis related to the real-space lattice?

A reciprocal lattice basis is mathematically related to the real-space lattice through the Fourier transform. The reciprocal lattice vectors are perpendicular to the real-space lattice vectors and their magnitudes are inversely proportional to the interplanar spacing in the crystal lattice.

3. What is the significance of the reciprocal lattice basis?

The reciprocal lattice basis is important in crystallography and materials science as it allows for the interpretation of diffraction patterns and the determination of crystal structures. It also provides a convenient mathematical framework for understanding the periodicity and symmetry of crystals.

4. How is the reciprocal lattice basis calculated?

The reciprocal lattice basis can be calculated using the direct lattice vectors of the crystal and the Bragg's law, which relates the diffraction angles to the spacing between planes in the crystal lattice. Alternatively, it can also be determined using the crystal's space group and symmetry operations.

5. Can the reciprocal lattice basis be used for all crystal structures?

Yes, the reciprocal lattice basis can be used for all crystal structures, including simple cubic, body-centered cubic, face-centered cubic, and more complex structures such as hexagonal, tetragonal, and orthorhombic. It is a fundamental concept in crystallography and applies to all types of crystals, regardless of their symmetry or complexity.