Understanding the Definition of Cp and its Relationship to Cv: Explained

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between heat capacities (Cp and Cv) and the first and second fundamental laws of thermodynamics. It is derived that Cp and Cv are equal to each other minus the product of the partial derivatives of entropy and temperature with respect to pressure. This leads to the conclusion that the difference between Cp and Cv is equal to the product of the partial derivatives of temperature and pressure with respect to volume.
11thHeaven
Hi all, I'm working through a derivation of the general relationship between Cp and Cv and there's one point which is confusing me.

I understand that

3c0a0cc895e45267dbaa601d4c29318d.png

and

ea5771ed8bd497e2dd089cfcf3e502bf.png

and that this implies the following:

32b7fb39a707cb5f2360d5c6d8b3d76e.png

but isn't this equal to 0? Shouldn't the two partial derivatives on the right hand side, by the cyclic rule, multiply to -(∂S/∂T)V?

I know that I'm missing something here but I can't work out what it is.

Help appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
What you hold constant makes a difference.

Hm, I'm not sure what you want to derive, but let's start defining the heat capacities and see, where this leads to.

Start from energy conservation employing the 1st and 2nd fundamental laws
$$\mathrm{d} U=\mathrm{d} Q-p \mathrm{d} V=T \mathrm{d} S-p \mathrm{d} V.$$
This implies
$$C_V:=\left (\frac{\partial Q}{\partial T} \right)_{V}=\left (\frac{\partial U}{\partial T} \right)_V=T \left (\frac{\partial S}{\partial T} \right)_V.$$
For ##C_p## we need the enthalpy, given by the Legendre transform
$$H=U+p V ; \Rightarrow \; \mathrm{d} H=T \mathrm{d} S+V \mathrm{d} p,$$
and thus
$$C_p=\left (\frac{\partial H}{\partial T} \right )_p=T \left (\frac{\partial S}{\partial T} \right)_p.$$
Now we can use
$$\frac{C_p}{T}=\left (\frac{\partial S}{\partial T} \right)_p = \det \left (\frac{\partial(S,p)}{\partial(T,p)} \right) = \det \left (\frac{\partial(S,V)}{\partial(T,V)} \right) \det \left (\frac{\partial(T,V)}{\partial(T,p)} \right) = \left [ (\partial_T S)_V (\partial_V p)_T-(\partial_V S)_T (\partial_T p)_V \right ] (\partial_p V)_T = \frac{C_V}{T} - (\partial_p S)_T (\partial_T p)_V.$$
Now we can use the Gibb's free energy
$$G=U-TS+pV \; \Rightarrow \; \mathrm{d} G=-S \mathrm{d} T+V \mathrm{d} p,$$
to derive
$$\partial_p \partial_T G=-(\partial_p S)_T=\partial_T \partial_p G=(\partial_T V)_p$$
to get
$$C_p-C_v=T (\partial_T p)_V (\partial_T V)_p.$$

Related to Understanding the Definition of Cp and its Relationship to Cv: Explained

What does Cp = 0 mean?

Cp = 0 means that the specific heat capacity of a substance is equal to zero. This indicates that the substance does not absorb or release any heat when its temperature changes.

How is Cp = 0 defined?

Cp = 0 is defined as the specific heat capacity of a substance at constant pressure. It is a thermodynamic property that describes the amount of heat required to increase the temperature of a substance by one degree Celsius.

What are some examples of substances with Cp = 0?

Some examples of substances with Cp = 0 include ideal gases at constant pressure, water at its triple point, and superfluid helium at low temperatures.

What is the significance of Cp = 0 in thermodynamics?

In thermodynamics, Cp = 0 is significant because it indicates that the substance does not experience any change in enthalpy when its temperature changes. This can be useful in calculating heat transfer and energy changes in systems.

Can Cp ever be negative?

No, Cp cannot be negative. It is a physical property that is always positive or zero. A negative value for Cp would imply that the substance absorbs heat when its temperature decreases, which goes against the definition of specific heat capacity.