Understanding the Definition of Average Power in Sinusoidal Functions

In summary, the average power of a sinusoidal power function, such as $p(t)=\frac{1}{2}(1+\cos(2x))$, is typically calculated over one period. This is because it simplifies calculations and is a reasonable approximation for the long-term average power. Other periods can be chosen for averaging, but the one-period interval is the most commonly used. The average power over a specific time period can also be calculated by averaging over that time, but the result may vary depending on the length of the period. Ultimately, the average power is an approximation of the long-term average and the chosen period for averaging should be stated clearly.
jakey
I am slightly confused by the definition of average power if the power function $p(t)$ is sinusoidal. Why is it that only one period is considered?

I mean I know that it simplifies calculations but if we assume that the period of $p(t)$ is $T$ and I compute the average power over $[0,\sqrt{2}T]$, I do not get the same result had I computed the average power over $[0,T].$

Case in point: If $p(t)=\frac{1}{2}(1+\cos(2x))$ then the average power is not the same for both cases mentioned...

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to know the instantaneous power then you would use VI. For a mean power value, you could choose any period you liked, to integrate over, but you would need to state that period (absolute phase intervals). It seem perfectly reasonable to me to choose a single cycle (or any integral number) because it's the most likely thing that anyone else would do. Any other period would be arbitrary and could introduce a massive range of possible outcomes (as you seem to be finding).

so are you saying that this is simply a definition? I'm sorry but I still can't seem to understand it...so the average power based on this definition, then, is merely an approximation of the "real mean"?

Think how you'd tackle a 1kW electric heater. If you took the first 10ms of one cycle, the average power would be somewhat less. Would that make sense?

jakey said:
so are you saying that this is simply a definition? I'm sorry but I still can't seem to understand it...so the average power based on this definition, then, is merely an approximation of the "real mean"?

The "real" mean depends on how long you are averaging over the power. Averaging over one period gives the long-time average. If you were given a power function and asked the average power over a certain period of time, then you would average over just that time. If the period (of the power function) is short, you are probably interested in the average over many periods rather than one small random interval. The average over one period approximates this quite well.

Related to Understanding the Definition of Average Power in Sinusoidal Functions

What is the definition of average power?

The definition of average power is the measure of the rate at which energy is transferred or converted per unit time. It is calculated by dividing the total energy transferred or converted by the total time it took to transfer or convert that energy.

How is average power different from instantaneous power?

Average power is the measure of energy transfer over a period of time, while instantaneous power is the measure of energy transfer at a specific moment in time. Instantaneous power can fluctuate, but average power gives a more consistent and accurate representation of the overall energy transfer.

What are the units of measurement for average power?

The units of measurement for average power are watts (W) or joules per second (J/s). These units represent the amount of energy transferred or converted per unit time.

How is average power used in real-world applications?

Average power is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as in the energy industry for measuring electricity consumption and production, in mechanical systems to calculate work and efficiency, and in electronics for determining battery life and power output.

What are the limitations of using average power?

One limitation of using average power is that it does not account for fluctuations in power over time. It also does not take into consideration the direction of energy transfer. Additionally, average power may not accurately represent instantaneous power in systems with rapidly changing power levels.